The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 06:58 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: Fishing Terminology

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
RIP.... : I had to kill a small tree to print your list out

This is one of best jokes that I see in a while
Thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Some localisms:

"Sail Fish"- a fish so small it takes flight when you set the hook.

"Pickle Trickle"- a small creek full of pickle sized fish

"Grind it out"- "we ain't catchin' sh't, but we're gonna stay at it" most common at the coast, where scraping the boat on oysters is unavoidable.

"Googan"- a blabberhead with a large boat and lots of toys that runs all over the place disturbing the fish for all others.

Slough- a tidal lake off of a bay that usually muddy as all helll

Tooley- a small grass island on a flat

Cabbagehead- a jellyfish about the diameter of a cantaloupe that's ubiquitous and fairly harmless.

Croaker Soaker- coastal anglers who fish with fairly large live baitfish. undeniably effective at catching larger fish, but also basically impossible to combine with catch and release.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough

A couple more to add to Mark's saltwater ones above;-

Nervous water - a slight rippling effect on a patch of water that indicates a school of moving fish underneath

Skinny water - we're talking inches only!

and an old English one we used as kids;-

carrot = a muppet, someone who hasn't a clue what they are doing
Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

CDC...cul de canard
just for fun a few words we use for a big fish...
Turkey(dinde)
Bar(barre)
Satchel(cartable)
and for a bad fisherman who doesn't respect fish....CALAMAR!!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I think we can make this into a single post and put it in the FAQ section as a sticky. It will take a little work. Any volunteers? It will take a little while for me to get to it.

Frank
Old 09-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea Frank...would help with pleasure if I was able to do it...but I'm not
Old 09-14-2010, 03:51 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Id be willing but is it something that I can do or is it a job for a moderator? What did you have in mind?

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 09-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

What I need is for some one to take all of the suggestions and put thme in one post or Email to me and I will take it from there. The suggestions should be in alfabetical order. I would just Start with Rip Tides post and then add the other suggestions to his post.

We need to decide who is going to do this so we don't have more than one person working on it. We also might want to wait a week or so so all of the suggestions are posted.

Rip, I assume we can use your list?

Frank
Old 09-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Everyone,

What I need is for some one to take all of the suggestions and put thme in one post or Email to me and I will take it from there. The suggestions should be in alfabetical order. I would just Start with Rip Tides post and then add the other suggestions to his post.

We need to decide who is going to do this so we don't have more than one person working on it. We also might want to wait a week or so so all of the suggestions are posted.

Frank
Frank

I will take this on!

Larry
Old 09-14-2010, 04:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post

Frank
Not my list Frank
Like I said at the top of that post, I got it from the FFF website