The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Fishing Terminology

a few from my ak days-

buck = male salmon.
hen = female salmon.
bow = native anchor river rainbow.
steelie = any alaskan steelhead.
barn door = any halibut over 300lbs.
dolly = char family fish or bull trout.
chromer = any fish so bright it makes your eyes hurt.
hit = any pull on your line whatsoever.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-19-2011, 01:38 AM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about

We have people that snag fish on the Manistique (which is my biggest pet peeve of fishing) but when we see someone doing this we say they are using a "silver octopus pattern"
Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

the "weighted treble" pattern? no place for that. it's time for a call to f & g

casey

ARFE
Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 PM

btlguide is on a distinguished road

Pounder- Fisherman that thinks he's god but in reality doesn't know much...

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Beamer- Fire engine red salmon, usually sockeyes or kings
Old 01-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by btlguide View Post
Pounder- Fisherman that thinks he's god but in reality doesn't know much...

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Beamer- Fire engine red salmon, usually sockeyes or kings
OMG! I know a forum full of those then!!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Hooked a Tire - big fish you could not get off the bottom "sometimes" it is actually the bottom if my fishing buddy is telling me he hooked a tire (never is it the bottom if I am telling the story), sometimes the tire comes to the surface just long enough to "reel" you

getting "reeled" or the fish "reeled" me - big fish takes the fly and goes until your out of backing, then keeps going usually taking at least your fly with him..

had some hits but didn't land any - got skunked

hitless - skunked

Oh fer (baseball term as in 0 for 2) - got skunked

Not a (as in nada or not a doggone thing) - got skunked

All LDRs - got skunked

Don't ask me how I know so many words that mean 'got skunked', I think I learned em all from my two fishing buddies

stick fish - a stick that you have reel all the way in to get off the hook.

skunk buster - the fish you catch just before leaving that kept you from getting skunked (sometimes a very small fish, like guppy size that your buddy coaxed into taking a size 24 midge, just under the tree, near the shore, so he wouldnt have to tell you he got skunked again. You can usually tell this is what happened when your buddy says he landed a little skunkbuster, but wont tell or show you how little the "little guy" was)

d
Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

The last time I got a skunk buster it was...
A wee Jack fish - because when I felt the bump on the fly and set the hook it landed the fish all 41/2" of him

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM

btlguide is on a distinguished road

Gerbango- Monster Fish
Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Dink = little trout you can't believe actually got the fly in it's mouth.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a terminology question. With all species of fish, you "hook", "land", or "catch" them, but you "jump" a tarpon, how is that? milt.