- a particularly good stretch of water for big brown trout
- from Eastern Rises- the fish that all anglers chase, a trophy, whether it be a 10" brookie or 30" rainbow.
- Following the blue lines of creeks and streams on a map to find remote or little known water.
- an extremely effective fly
- see Killer
- a heavily guarded and top secret fishing spot. Ex- I could take you to Area 51, but then I'd have to kill you.
- refers to a very productive pool, stretch or sometimes entire stream
- weighing down a nymph rig heavily enough to bounce the entire bottom of a run at a slower speed than the surface current.
- keeping a low profile in order to present a fly to a fish without spooking it.
- a large trout that lazily sips hatching insects from the water, with confidence, without moving from its feeding lane.
- a trout that is so focused on eating as many flies during a hatch as possible, that it continuously breaks the water surface
- a particularly large, ugly and vicious trout.
- similar to Trout Crack
a fly that trout find irresistible.
- a piece of water that is sure to hold a fish and allow for an easy presentation
- also known as a Nudge
- when a fish barely touches a fly with the tip of its nose. It may or may not actually eat the fly.
- an aggressive bump
- could be a body of water or fish of exceptional beauty
- a body of water where fly fisherman, bait fisherman and spin fisherman stand shoulder to shoulder and compete for the attention of newly stocked trout. Also known as a Missouri Trout Park.
- a fisherman who has the habit of following the stocking trucks as they make their drops, or plan their fishing days around the G&F stocking schedule.
- similar to a Beast
, but refers to a large, ugly and meat eating brown.
- An newly schemed but un-fished fly pattern that you are sure will be a killer
- Trying out a prototype
for the first time.
- A prototype
that makes it through beta testing
- a fish keeps it's head down during a fight, determined to stay on the bottom
- a fish that makes an unstoppable run upstream the moment it's hooked
BAM BAM BAM!
- describes the action of a rod when a large fish makes that first headshake
- a fish that puts up a hard fight, especially for its size
- a fish that just won't give up, sheer doggedness, aggressive
- a fish that is all muscle
- when a large fish anchors itself to the bottom and refuses to move once hooked. Leaving you to ask "Now what?"
- a trout that is beat up and scarred. Usually a hatchery fish that just doesn't learn.
- a fly or flies that you find left in trees from less fortunate fisherman, less often flies found hooked in the jaw of a fish