The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 PM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fishing Terminology

"Spec" ---local for speckled trout
"Speckled" -- local for Brooke trout

Everything else has been covered
Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Here's a terminology question. With all species of fish, you "hook", "land", or "catch" them, but you "jump" a tarpon, how is that? milt.
Milt

In my experience Tarpon fishing it is the fisherman that gets jumped by the Tarpon. When they take a fly it is a mugging not a bite!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-18-2011, 04:18 PM

outfortrout is on a distinguished road

TERMINOLOGY NOT MENTIONED

" Thank You LORD " the aw enspiring moment when the sun first catches the water you just arrived on and the early morning fog is drifting silently among the coves. A truly inspirational day forthcoming..

" Shhh - Listen " listening closly you can hear the fish say " come and get me "
also you hear " laughing - are you seriously wanting me to bite that, and " what in the heck are you wearing"

"OOOh Daddy" - a common term when you peer over a rise and see an awesome pool with a good run, knowing the one for the day is waiting on you

" This is the life" a perfect term while basking in the sun on a big rock while the sounds of the stream whisper ever so delicantly, as you just sit back and enjoy the true solitude and serenity of such a great day of fishing - catching or not, it remains to be a great day.

and lastly
" I fish therefore I am - self explantory
Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 PM

gofisch is on a distinguished road

Brown Town- a particularly good stretch of water for big brown trout
Hog Johnson- from Eastern Rises- the fish that all anglers chase, a trophy, whether it be a 10" brookie or 30" rainbow.
Blue-lining- Following the blue lines of creeks and streams on a map to find remote or little known water.
Killer- an extremely effective fly
Trout Crack- see Killer
Area 51- a heavily guarded and top secret fishing spot. Ex- I could take you to Area 51, but then I'd have to kill you.
Fish factory- refers to a very productive pool, stretch or sometimes entire stream
Dredging- weighing down a nymph rig heavily enough to bounce the entire bottom of a run at a slower speed than the surface current.
Stalking- keeping a low profile in order to present a fly to a fish without spooking it.
Sipper- a large trout that lazily sips hatching insects from the water, with confidence, without moving from its feeding lane.
Gulper- a trout that is so focused on eating as many flies during a hatch as possible, that it continuously breaks the water surface
Beast- a particularly large, ugly and vicious trout.
Trout Candy- similar to Trout Crack a fly that trout find irresistible.
Tailor Made- a piece of water that is sure to hold a fish and allow for an easy presentation
Bump- also known as a Nudge- when a fish barely touches a fly with the tip of its nose. It may or may not actually eat the fly.
Swipe- an aggressive bump
Gem- could be a body of water or fish of exceptional beauty
Three-ring Circus- a body of water where fly fisherman, bait fisherman and spin fisherman stand shoulder to shoulder and compete for the attention of newly stocked trout. Also known as a Missouri Trout Park.
Tailgater- a fisherman who has the habit of following the stocking trucks as they make their drops, or plan their fishing days around the G&F stocking schedule.
Shark- similar to a Beast, but refers to a large, ugly and meat eating brown.
Prototype- An newly schemed but un-fished fly pattern that you are sure will be a killer
Beta Testing- Trying out a prototype for the first time.
Winner- A prototype that makes it through beta testing.
Bulldogging- a fish keeps it's head down during a fight, determined to stay on the bottom
Freight Train- a fish that makes an unstoppable run upstream the moment it's hooked
BAM BAM BAM!- describes the action of a rod when a large fish makes that first headshake
High Spirited- a fish that puts up a hard fight, especially for its size
Mean- a fish that just won't give up, sheer doggedness, aggressive
Solid- a fish that is all muscle
Sulking- when a large fish anchors itself to the bottom and refuses to move once hooked. Leaving you to ask "Now what?"
Gnarly- a trout that is beat up and scarred. Usually a hatchery fish that just doesn't learn.
Bonus Fly- a fly or flies that you find left in trees from less fortunate fisherman, less often flies found hooked in the jaw of a fish

Last edited by gofisch; 02-20-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:29 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofisch View Post
Trout Candy- similar to Trout Crack a fly that trout find irresistable.
I always refer to my streamer boxes as my Trout Candy Boxes.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-21-2011, 03:20 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Scratcher- very similar to a true sportsman salmon fly fisher, in that he/she uses a fly..... they are knowen when the fish is fowl hooked a sportsman will release said fish..... where a scratcher is pulling the fly through the heavly populated pool quickly with the intention of fowl hooking fish!!!

Which is why some people will look down their nose at fly anglers while going for salmon

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 PM

rifflerat is on a distinguished road

Carpet Bombed

When you hit every possible holding, feeding, and hiding spot on a river with every fly in your box and still get skunked.

You know it happens.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:26 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Flucy Creek: Fictional name for where you are catching the fish. Directions are usually as follows. "it's near the upper end of (insert name of lake).

Dave
Old 03-10-2011, 01:05 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

pig tail: the end of a persons leader, who didn't make a good knot, and finds out the hard way.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:34 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hoover>>>Carp