The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing Terminology

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Flucy Creek: Fictional name for where you are catching the fish. Directions are usually as follows. "it's near the upper end of (insert name of lake).

Dave
I used to live in a town that had three Mud lakes on the map the Chamber of Commerce gave out. I used to tell people all the time, "caught it in Mud Lake!"
P.S. Never fished even one of them.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:16 AM

striper swiper is on a distinguished road

A cheat stick= spinning rod
thats one that i use to rip my buddies constantly

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

linesider= striped bass
Old 04-16-2011, 01:16 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

oak tree = often the ban of the fly fishermans existence
oakfish = usually more then 20' long and hard to land, never fits in the **** net
Hank = my muskrat friend that laughs at me while out fishing me on a consistant basis

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Hoover>>>Carp
Kirby>>>Sucker Thought this thread needed a bump, there are more out there. milt.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:07 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i'm game,

crappie>>>>paper mouth

ARFE
Old 07-24-2011, 10:34 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I've always heard Lunker as a term for large bass, does this apply to other fish as well? I didn't see it elsewhere on the list.
Wiper - another name for a striped bass hybrid

From the saltwater side:
Specks are another name for sea-trout, at least in my area.
Silver King is a tarpon
Jumping a tarpon, to answer Milt's question from a few months back, is somewhere between a hook and a landing, and a bonus if you also land the fish. Some tarpon will jump the instant they are hooked, while others run deep.
Bowing to the King is what you do when a tarpon jumps; this is the action you see where an angler pushes his rod toward the fish so as to not have a perfect aerial venue for watching your lure come flying out of the tarpon's mouth because of the tension.
Baitstealers - encountered when fishing with bait and pretty self-explanatory, though not always; these can be fish or weeds, anything that manages to extricate your bait from your hook without replacing said bait with its jaws

I saw it mentioned earlier, but is this list still being compiled into a more digestible format? I have a lot of free internet time on my hands in the evenings while still in Sweden until mid-August... that's what happens when you don't have any fishing gear on hand...
Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 AM

canonman is on a distinguished road

Like this one... not hear this

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Bucket Banger... ice fisherman or shore bait fisherman
Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Wading Staff: The six guys you hire to carry all of your excess gear to and from the water.

Steelhead: Oncorhynchus mykiss ascending tributaries of the Pacific Ocean.

Motorhead: Oncorhynchus mykiss ascending tributaries of the Great Lakes.

TT

Last edited by trout trekker; 12-23-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 PM

fishingguru is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Fishing Terminology

Has anyone said big lips yet? Awesome thread!

Fishing for Trout
Old 01-21-2012, 03:20 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Slaying> Catching a ridiculous amount of fish
Stick> Rod
Meat stick>11wt rod or bigger
Gorilla Gator> Monster Bluefish
Cow>Monster Striper
Linesider> Striper
Under the ladies skirt> Casting close to the Statue of Liberty
Birthday suit> Wet wading
Regular> distinct group of Montauk casters
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser