The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 01:45 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fishing Terminology

My girlfriend, her friends, and I were sitting around and chatting. Some of her friends fish. Some don't. Throughout the conversation, we would use fishing terms that they would not understand.

So I'm starting a thread with some fishing terms. Feel free to add. If the term is a local one, feel free to add that too. It could be helpful for those getting into the sport.

I'll start with four terms.

Walter - A large fish. It was the nickname that Henry Fonda's character, Norman, in On Golden Pond called a large trout that he was trying to catch on his homewaters.

Homie - A large wild fish. I learned this term from one of my guide buddies. The local river we fish is full of wild trout.

LDR - Long distance release. The fish releases itself a long distance away from the angler.

PMD - Pale Morning Dun mayfly.

MP
Nearenuf, sumojo and gzarboni like this.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:12 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Ard's list of terms;

Funny thing MP, I already was working on a list;

Skunked >>> means you caught no fish

Flogging >>> is what a bad caster does

Chuck & Duck >>> Casting style of one who uses weight on a fly rod

Coho >>> Pacific Silver Salmon

Red >>> Sockeye Salmon

Chinook >>> The King Salmon

Jacks >>> These are immature salmon (small) who enter the rivers with the mature run of fish

Rig >>> The line tip, leader, and fly that you fish

Poop >>> What you say when you get snagged in water too deep for you to go after it.

Jet Sled >>> This is usually a tunnel hulled river boat with an outboard jet motor

Beads >>> Plastic salmon eggs that people put on a line and fish on a fly rod; see flosser below

Indy Rig >>> A polite way to say 'Fishing with a bobber' as children would do

Back Troll >>> Allowing flies to hang in current down stream of a drift boat, (boat is held back by oarsman)

Flosser >>> A person who uses long leaders and small flies to snag salmon or steelhead in the mouth [Note] this takes talent but is not legit

Herl >>> An individual fiber taken from a large feather such as peacock or ostrich

The crack of noon >>> Getting a late start on the day

Subordinate fish >>> Fish who are lower in the order of a pool or run, generally smaller than the dominate fish.

Blind eye hook >>> A salmon hook forged with no eye. These are finished using a loop of dacron or gut as an eye.

Butt >>> Herl, or other material tied in just ahead of tag & tip on a fly, also: end of rod; (or) a person who crowds you while fishing

Tag >> A few turns of tinsel tied above the barb or point of a hook

Tip >>> Usually a colorful floss that is tied aft of the tag

Beard >>> Any material tied in short over the throat of a streamer or wet fly

Throat >>> Material tied beneath the hook shank @ the front extending back 2/3 s the distance to the hook point (wets & streamers)

Priest >>> An implement used to bash a salmon on the head to kill it.

Pounding them up >>> The act of repeatedly presenting a dry fly when no feeding activity is evident

Honey Hole >>> This is the place you head to that always produces some fish, usually kept as secret

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 09-21-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:52 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing Terminology

I like it!

Big Ugly>>>Rubberlegs nymph fly

Toon>>>Pontoon Boat with some clown paddling away...

Trico>>>too dang small in anyone's book

Flav>>>Big dang mayfly

Thingamabobber>>>Huh?

WFF5WT>>>Fly line that sinks more than it floats

PT>>>Pheasant-tail nymph, or, the name of your pontoon

Parachute>>>Keeps my fly afloat

Parasol>>>Helps my tired eyes

Terminal Tackle>>>What my rig looks like at the end of the day after that 'last cast' into the wind

Nymph rig>>>oooh, you guys have dirty minds...

A Big 'Un>>>anything over 10-inches

A Beast>>>Anything that becomes an LDR

Rippin Lips>>>What happens when I try to wet a fly by putting it in my mouth

First Blood>>>Trying to tie on that size 22

Fishing Buddy>>>Means I'm driving that day

FTBMR>>>Drove at least one hour and Forgot To Bring My Rod

FTBMF>>>Drove back to get my rod and then back to my destination and discovered I Forgot To Bring My Flies

EMR>>>Early Morning Rise, something I plan on doing to go fishing, yet I always leave it to the fish I miss out on by sleeping in

Kelly.
sumojo and gzarboni like this.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

wooow
Just the thread i really need...some stuff that i cant find in dictionary
just keep them coming and thaks guys
Old 09-10-2010, 02:16 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

nail knot creek>>> anyplace you don't want to tell the real name of.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

BODACIOUS......very cool....LOL
Old 09-10-2010, 02:38 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

double haul>> two much gear to carry down to the water in one trip university pool>> home of overeducated fish... harvard, yale, stanford, etc...
Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Drag--When your fly is being pulled along by opposing currents
Cutbow--a rainbow/cutthrout hybrid
Flouro--Fluorocarbon tippet material
Birdsnest--When your line gets all tangled
Meat Hole--A spot on the river where the fish are stacked up
Bucktail--Streamer pattern tied with deers tail hair
Dead Drift--Your fly moving along the water at the same speed as other objects.
Chromer--A bright, fresh fish
Mysis--silvery freshwater shrimp

Larry
Old 09-10-2010, 05:20 PM

bankee>>shorebound bait fisherman
Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a few from salt water:

Fat Albert = False Albacore

Bonehead = male mahi mahi, (also called dorado and dolphin fish). The males have a blunt, bony forehead

BFT, YFT = Blue Fin Tuna, Yellow Fin Tuna

Push = Something to look for on the flats, it's the compression wave ahead of a fish or a school of fish as it swims through shallow water

Blitz = baitfish trapped against the surface by bigger fish, the water looks like it's boiling

Huffnagle, Bimini Twist, Haywire Twist, Slim Beauty = names of knots