The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Knee Deep in the Pan

Hey Folks...

I'll be leaving today for Basalt, Colorado for a family vacation. I'll be fishing the Frying Pan, Roaring Fork and of course a few small streams in the area. I'm taking my lap top so I hope to get internet access from my cabin. That way, I can log in and rub it in to all you folks stuck in Texas, Arizona and every other HOT spot in this country. I will be sure to include my embellished fishing reports. If I can't get internet access... then I'll check in when I get back in a week. I hope ya'll can keep The Fanatic under control while I'm gone.

Steve

Old 07-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Knee Deep in the Pan

Have fun in Basalt Steve. I got to spend a week there a few years ago and it is a great little town. I'll hope for you that the Roaring Fork isn't to blown out to fish, but I wouldn't set my hopes too high. There are a few pockets behind rocks on the left bank (facing upstream) near Basalt that held big fish, but they moght beblown to another spot now. There was also some good fishing up higher past the bridge, especially where a fence/screen type thing ion the right bank had an undercut underneath it with trout darting out to grab flies. It may not be possible to get to this spot with high flows. I was there in late july in one of their dry years and the river was almost unwadeable.

The Frying Pan right in town is fishable and will likely be walking distance from where you're staying. The most productive dry while I was there was a 16 or 18 green Stimulator, and I would think a copper john of the same size would be a good dropper. I went into the Taylor Creek shop for advice and info and took their suggestion to go right off their back deck and fish there. I had success and there were many more in there.

The guys in the shop can also make great recommendations of some alpine lakes to hike up to fish. The one I went to took quite a strenuous hike to get to but was absolutely gorgeous!

The Rainbow Grill there in town has good eats and a nice deck over the pan on which to enjoy them. Gets pretty chilly after dark though.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about

Yea... both the Pan and Fork have been fairly high but are on the decline. The run-off was flowing pretty well the first part of last week but has dropped off dramatically in the last few days. The Fork has cleared well. It is now running at about 1,800 cfs at Basalt and is dropping daily. The water is clear and very fishable down to Carbondale and the Pan is doing very well near Aspen. As of last week, the Pan is was flowing at about 400 cfs. Many of the small streams in the are fishing extremely well.

So... there will be plenty of good water fish. I just can't wait!!!

Old 07-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Administrator

OK folks... I am now in my log cabin overlooking the Frying Pan and Taylor Creek. I'm soaking in the cool mountain air and sucking on a beer. I wish you could join me... yea right!!!

Old 07-09-2005, 08:07 PM

Tangle will become famous soon enoughTangle will become famous soon enough

Enjoy your vacation! Sounds as if you have a great start to your trip.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:09 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

Yep Steve, it's getting into the mid 90's here in Tyler today. You better watch the temperature shock up there. Good fishing, and don't forget to get your report ready for the newsletter. Plenty of photos, et al.
Have fun.
gordon