The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005, 01:41 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: tying flies: pictures of first 3

got plenty of dog hair and destroyed dog toys. working on getting peacock feathers now. got a friend with peacocks. horse hair is very plentiful for me.(3 horses 8 dogs and a cat) friends have tons of horses. going to try and put pictures of my first 3 up on this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00563.jpg (19.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-08-2005, 02:34 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Looks real similar to the Gartside Soft Hackle Streamer I tie with marabou and malard.. Trout & Bass love it.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze69
working on getting peacock feathers now.
Wow! A source of free peacock herl. What a find. I use a lot of it for all sorts of patterns.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: tying flies

yes our horse trainer/friend/breeder also has peacocks. when i asked her about some she wanted to know why. i told her to tickle the living you know what out of my wife and to tie flies. she said no problem. big don is working on getting turkey feathers and deer tails this winter. going to talk to his brother about any good raccoon, fox, and coyote fur that he gets that is clean but can't be used for the pelts. also lining up friends that pheasant, quail, duck, and goose hunt for possible feathers.(got lots of friends that hunt) going to try and post the last 2 photos seeing as how they didn't appear.

the first photo is actualy my 2nd fly and the second photo is my first. and here is my first attempt at a wooly bugger.(using copper wire as bigcliff and salmo nella suggested) i don't think i did to bad by going off a video and out of a book at the same time. going to try a bee tommorow and possible something with the horse hair. not sure what yet though. one idea though is to mix the tail hair.(black and gray) and do it so that it is either spiraled or turning gray toward the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00561.jpg (36.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00564.jpg (9.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Both look great for a beginner! The tail on the bugger doesn't need to be nearly that long. If you're using regular marabou (whole feather spreads out to be somewhat round and the size of a tennis ball) then you can actually get three tails out of each feather. Strip off all the stuff by the stem that is clumpy or white. You can get one tail out of 2/3 of one side, one out of 2/3 of the other, and the third out of the end.

Tie the tail in to where it is plenty long. Then grab hold of the tail with both hands with the end point in between the two. Pinch tight and break off the excess. Sounds weird, and as though it would be easier with scissors, but there's a reason. Tearing it off like that will give the tail an uneven appearance which looks much more natural in the water. You can also do this while fishing if it feels like the sunfish are striking short. The point of tying it in long is that this will give you a bushier tail and you'll be throwing away the stringy tips instead of the bushy parts near the stem.

You might want to find out if any of your friends raise domestic turkeys, as they are the source for the feathers we know as marabou. They will be all white, but some Rit or kool aid will fix that. You might even be able to develop a killer golden-brownish-olive color that kills the fish and nobody else has! (actually a lavender grey might be a killer too!)

I've got more bugger tricks when you're ready. I find it to be the single most productive freshwater fly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:15 AM

so if I understand you correctly just break it off to a shorter point and keep the left over? have to ask around about the domestic turkey's probally know someone just don't know it.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Not really. I'll try to see if I can locate some illustration of what I am referring to.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:28 AM

talked to some people at work. have lined up: domestic geese feather, duck, guiny, turkey, and rooster feathers not to mention the peacock. also got a guy checking into pheasant and quail feathers. says that there is a farm that raises them near him.