The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

View Poll Results: Do you buy or make your own leader?
Buy 9 34.62%
Make my own 7 26.92%
Both 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 09:03 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Leaders?

I tied my first leaders yesterday. I am looking for a good source for the material. Before now I have bought them. What do you do and if you do tie your own, what brand of material do you use?

John
Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 PM

WANTONJ is on a distinguished road
Re: Leaders?

John I will try to answer some of your questions,there are some leader charts called leadercalc 2007 a lot of good info in it,you can also make leader labels from it to mark the ones you make up.You can down load it free from globalflyfisher.com then put a shortcut on your desktop,the line I use is pline floroclear it is a copolymer line coated with florocarbon,the fish cant see it and is a lot stronger than anything I have used,you can get it from 2# to 30#,for the larger test up to 60# I also fish salt water,I use Berkley Trilene Big Game.The only problem you cannot find either in a small quantity, the floroclear is 300yds,the 25# to 60# Berkley you can get in 55yd size.The knot I use is a double nail knot very clean and compact, tags ends or at the ends by the line and can be clipped short and smooth,the blood knot has its ends in the middle of the knot and can stick on certain things,you can buy a real good tool from Cabela's for about 7.00 they have two sizes,small and large,for Trout and Bass you want the small size,you can see the video on U-Tube that uses this tool for leader butt connection to fly line and leader making.note LeaderCalc is on a excel spread sheet format,if you dont have excel you can down load it for free on the Internet,I hope this is a help to you.I gave you a little more info than you asked for,but just trying to help.

have a good and safe day.

Captain Wayne Valley Fire Service,Valley Springs Calif.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:41 PM

plland is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Leaders?

I figure I should start tying my own because I haven't yet figured out a way to buy them cheaply in bulk, but the kits are really expensive. I'm learning how to conserve my leader by tying my tippet before the taper and replacing the tippet before it gets into the leader's taper, but they still get used up fast.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I originally bought the FROG HAIR leader kit and it comes with charts and the blood knot tool. I still occasionally make my own, but some waters I got tired of the moss on the knots.
This year, I am a firm believer in FURLED leaders. Much easier and quicker to make once you set up the board and get some tapers from the furling board.
I ordered the Kathy Scott Video to get started and it was worth every penny.
I have since adapted some of my own ideas.
I make them in 5' , 5 1/2', and a 6'. I also prefer the rings as the end of the leader doesn't wear out as qwick with tippet cutting into it.
I also add 3' to 6' of fluoro to the ring, so a 12' leader is easy to make. NO KNOTS except the tippet to leader which is true with any leader.

I first thought these were perfect for dry flies cause they lais out so smooth, but the past couple of years I use them for everything. They don't get tangled as easy, and in my case, I haven't had a knot or a tangle for over a year.

I make them out of Uni thread so I can make them in any color, even multi colors like CAMO, or add a bright color to the first section for an indicator. Add one strand of Kevlar and it is a STRONG nymphing/streamer leader.

Lately I found a UNI 4mm clear, and it floats like crazy!...add a dab of sink putty and killer nymph leader.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:43 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclampwork88 View Post
I tied my first leaders yesterday. I am looking for a good source for the material. Before now I have bought them. What do you do and if you do tie your own, what brand of material do you use?

John
I do what most all of you probably do. I buy the leader/tippet and as the tippet gets shorten b/c of changing flies and/or snags I tie more on. Since
I fish nymphs mostly I like florocarbon in 4 and 5x a lot. I find the 9' leaders to be the best all around length b/c I can leave them that length or add to them, depending. I buy which ever florocarbon, especially tippet sections are the lest expensive.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've tied my own leaders for over 20 years
Started with an Orvis Superstrong kit, now I use Maxima for fresh water, Climax in the salt.
For all the different fishing situations, I probably use a dozen or more different configurations so it makes a lot of sense to me to build them myself rather than buy.
Tying leaders is one of my least favorite fishing related chores so I try to tie up a seasons worth in one sitting. At least that's the plan
Old 10-18-2008, 10:18 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I never heard of furled leaders until Joni turned me on to what they are. Then she sent me a couple to try. I've used the two she sent since July exclusively and they're still like new.
On her recomendation I got the Cathy Scott video and started making my own furled leaders and I'll never go back to tapered or tied leaders.
Now that I make my own, I've been giving them to people I fish with and they are now converts. Simply the best way to go IMHO
Old 10-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Yat, are you using the rings or the Shorb?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:02 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Yat, are you using the rings or the Shorb?
Joni,
I'm using the Shorb Loop. I haven't gotten around to ordering the rings yet. I still have the link you sent for them.
I was wondering how you put the rings on the tip? Do you thread each strand one at a time through the ring? If so don't you have to cut the total length and do the threading through the ring?
Old 12-06-2008, 04:02 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Some of us tried to keep it above board!!!
I like the furled leaders with the tippet ring. Frustrating, how when I go to get one from my stash ... the stash is depleted. Seems I'm always giving them away. Fortunately, they're fairly easy to make!