The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 09:24 AM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wyoming's Medicine Bow national forest

Larry how far of a walk is Encampment River? Wading the medium rivers is what my partner likes but I'd like to Drift the platte cause I'd love to hook the Begins!!!!!! Touch base with you later! Godbless! Tight lines

Lambster
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Lambster

Access to the the Encampment river in the National Forest is to go south out of Encampment on WYO 70 until you get to the BLM campground. There is a series of homes on the west bank, but a footbridge at the campground provides access to the east bank and the trail leading into the canyon. The better fishing is going to be 2-3 miles up the trailhead.

Larry
Old 08-25-2008, 03:04 PM

Larry

We had a wonderful time fishing with you on the North Platte River and on the other streams..... I did see alot of cows in and around where we were fishing and can't figur out why they let cows rome freely through the area where the streams are located....... cow poo everywhere you look! It seems to me that the wastefrom the cows would destroy the streams! I sure wouldn't want to camp in those area's! Again thanks for all your help!

Lambster
Georgiaflyguide
Old 08-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Lambster

Yes, I know what you mean. The cows also destroy the trout habitat along the stream banks.

Your welcome! I had a great time also, and thanks for the rowing tips on the North Platte.

Larry
Old 08-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Here are some photos of Lambster, Kelly and myself fishing on an evening at North Delaney Lake, floating and wading on the North Platte river and a couple of the streams in the Medicine Bow NF. The photos were taken by Lambster.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NorthDelaney.jpg (68.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg lambster.jpg (90.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Kelly.jpg (82.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Libby-Creek.jpg (57.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg NorthPlatte.jpg (71.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Yes I agree their trips are kind of high, but most of the guides around here are in the 380-450 range with the average being 400.
. . . The Grey Reef is a tailwater and has some really large rainbows and brown trout (they catch 8-10 lb fish there every year), but like all tailwaters it gets hammered by fisherman and therefore the fishing gets technicial. . . .
I also have fished the San Juan River (its also a tailwater). I've used a guide 3-4 times and we have caught some really large rainbows/browns. The guide service I have used is Duranglers out of Durango, CO. The first year my son and I fished that river, after about an hour of fishing we both had lost count of the number of fish we had hooked into and those fish were in the 16-23" range.
Larry
Larry,
I know this posting is stale, but I'm wondering what "technical" fishing is?
I've seen that term used often, and am assuming that it refers to wary over-fished trout that are fairly selective and savvy, what with all the fishing pressure they've seen; thus, match of fly, presentation, etc. have to be pretty much impeccable.

I'm also surprised that guides in the Wyoming area are so expensive. I just got back from my most recent trip to the San Juan/NM (talk about tailwaters getting hammered by fishermen!) and really excellent all-day driftboat or wading guides there can be found for 2/3 of what you say is the Wyoming going rate. And unlike my previous experience in Wyoming, it's hard to catch much on the San Juan unless you do have a good guide. (Of course, I'm off to Jackson Hole/Yellowstone in two weeks and probably now have jinxed myself )

Neil
Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Fly2,
I don't know if there is a technical description for technical fishing.
For me personally, it is, as you mentioned, heavily fished fish. But it is also a term I feel for water that has characteristics that are difficult to fish. Things like weedy water, lots of obstructions, snags, overhanging brush, swirling currents, gin clear water and water that is more than 10 miles from the nearest beer.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Ten miles! Well, that'll work for you Colorado mountain men, but for us softies from Texas it's got to be within five miles (can't believe I'm willing to go for more than three!).
Old 08-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Larry,
I know this posting is stale, but I'm wondering what "technical" fishing is?
I've seen that term used often, and am assuming that it refers to wary over-fished trout that are fairly selective and savvy, what with all the fishing pressure they've seen; thus, match of fly, presentation, etc. have to be pretty much impeccable.
Neil

Your correct that is exactly what I was referring too.....a heavily fished fishery, but I have to agree with what Yatahey has to say also. Sometimes on the Grey Reef I have seen 8-10 drift boats alternating turns drifting over a single run that was maybe 40 yards long. Each boat drifting over that run 5-6 times.

Quote:
I'm also surprised that guides in the Wyoming area are so expensive.
I don't know what the reason is. I've fished with Duranglers out of Durango, CO. fishing the San Juan and they charge $350, which is much cheaper than some of the guides here in WY.

Larry
Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 AM

Lambster wants to add his 2 cents worth about the prices the the guides charging higher rates...... I guide here in Georgia and have kept our prices down at $350 for 5 yrs., but we only drift through a seam twice but we also don't have the boating pressures that Platte River has..... the market is what ever the market will bear..... I don't want to over charge the client but only to give quality service for the days work! Our tailwaters are good in our state but the advantages are that we can anchor in our waters...... unlike the Platte in places you can't anchor which makes it tough for the client to fish properly or have a second chance at a fish unless your guide can or will row back up to the seam....... rowing is a challenge at times and takes alot of energy!!!!! your boat stye dictates the way you can handle your boat... a LP Driftboat catches less wind and a high side catches wind but offers protection from larger boulders in the fast water...
Lambster
GeorgiaFlyGuide