The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default Wyoming's Medicine Bow national forest

[Hello Fellow Flyfishers;

My question is has anyone on this forum fished in the Medicine Bow national Forest? Info on French Creek, Battle Creek, Encampment River,Douglas Creek,Hog Park Creek,Big Creek and does Lake Shelf contain Goldens? Any info on these streams as well as the Platte river would be most helpful!
Lambster
Old 07-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wyoming's Medicine Bow national forest

Lambster

I have fished a few of the creeks in Medicine Bow NF. I'm not a big fan of small creek fishing so I don't do that a lot. My favorite is the North Platte. It offers excellent fishing for rainbows, cuts and browns. I have fished Hog Park Reservoir (not the creek), Douglas Creek, Encampment River, Saratoga Lake, Lake Owen and French Creek. I don't know where Lake Shelf is, so I can't give any info.

The local fly shop (Four Seasons Anglers, phone: 307-721-4047) will give you much better information than I can. They are very friendly and willing to offer advice. You might also check out their web site as they have a North Platte hatch chart and fishing conditions, but don't keep it up to date as much as I would like.

This year I bought a used drift boat so I have been doing most of my fishing from that. I have fished the North Platte Grey Reef section below Alcova, WY (its a tailwater) and the section from Treasure Island (some maps call this Baldwins) to Saratoga. This past winter we had a really snow pack so the spring run off is just finishing. Up until now a lot of the rivers have been very high and off color.

Larry
Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 AM

Thanks Larry for the info! My goal is a trophy Brown which I haven't hooked yet.....I thought their Driftboat trips were kinda high at Four Saesons anglers, we charge $350 here in GeorgiaFlyGuide.... I'm still checking around for other guides in the area, do you know of any other Outfitters that have a lower price then $495? We have a 8 day trip to that area but have to use the money proper!
Lambster
Old 07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree their trips are kind of high, but most of the guides around here are in the 380-450 range with the average being 400. I used a guide over in Saratoga, WY a couple weeks ago to show me the North Platte from Treasure Island to Saratoga. I used Stoney Creek Outfitters, between the two of us we probably caught 25-30 fish in the 14-18" range. The river was still pretty high from run off but the guide still was able to put us on a lot of fish. I really liked the service they provided. Here is a listing of wyoming fishing guides:
Wyoming Fishing Network: Guides & Outfitters

I also fish on the Grey Reef section of the North Platte (near Alcova, WY), I bought myself a used drift boat and I'm still learning the art of rowing. The Grey Reef is a tailwater and has some really large rainbows and brown trout (they catch 8-10 lb fish there every year), but like all tailwaters it gets hammered by fisherman and therefore the fishing gets technicial. The biggest fish I have caught was around 16" but my fishing partner has landed a number of fish in the 18-20" range. If your after a trophy brown I would suggest talking to these folks, as the offer a NPL Trophy Package: Wyoming Trout Fly Fishing North Platte Lodge alcova wyoming wy

I also have fished the San Juan River (its also a tailwater). I've used a guide 3-4 times and we have caught some really large rainbows/browns. The guide service I have used is Duranglers out of Durango, CO. The first year my son and I fished that river, after about an hour of fishing we both had lost count of the number of fish we had hooked into and those fish were in the 16-23" range.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambster View Post
Thanks Larry for the info! My goal is a trophy Brown which I haven't hooked yet.....I thought their Driftboat trips were kinda high at Four Saesons anglers, we charge $350 here in GeorgiaFlyGuide.... I'm still checking around for other guides in the area, do you know of any other Outfitters that have a lower price then $495? We have a 8 day trip to that area but have to use the money proper!
Lambster
Old 07-23-2008, 04:31 PM

catman is on a distinguished road

I will be on the Encampment River in 2 weeks, I stay in Riverside. Great river..
Old 07-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Catman

Do you fish the wilderness area or do you have access on private property?

Larry
Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 AM

catman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Catman

Do you fish the wilderness area or do you have access on private property?

Larry
Private property..
Old 07-24-2008, 07:17 AM

Hi Larry :

Are their some nice trout in French Creek? Also have you fished Battle creek? Just trying to get good info before we get their.....do my home work to save some time and gas! Also looking for a Trout map of that area to see what streams we can hit that run close to each other. We'll be landing on the 17th of August...... it will be 8 days of fishing! Thanks for all your help, please keep me posted...... I feel the water should be clear once we get their!
Lambster
GeorgiaFlyGuide
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Lambster

It has been quite awhile since I fished French Creek, but the fishing was very good. I have never fished Battle Creek, but again I would talk to the local fly shop for up to date information on any of the streams you are considering. I don't think you will have a problem with the water clarity. The run off is going down quick with the warm water we have been having lately. Now its more of an issue with the afternoon thunderstorms. PM me with your address and I will send you a map of the local streams/lakes.
I'd also consider the Encampment River (in the wilderness area) its a bit of a hike but the area is beautiful and the fishing can be very good. Also the North Platte has some good public access in the upper region. There is a public access point in the North Park area where the North Platte originates, if your willing to walk into the canyon you will find some very good fishing.

Larry
Old 07-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Lambster

The map is in the mail, you should see it next week.

Larry