The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2005, 02:20 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default I now have mad respect for Preying Mantis's

Praying Mantis Makes Meal of a Hummer

Though we tend to think of hummingbirds as cute, dainty little things, in reality they make bold and fierce competitors. They don't let their guard down for a moment while defending their territories from other hummingbirds. They must also watch out for other animals that might prey on them, such as American kestrels in North America or tarantulas in South America. Praying mantises are also known to capture and kill hummingbirds, as a reader from West Chester, Pennsylvania, describes. - BWD
The other day while I was working in the yard my son urgently called to me. "Dad, a praying mantis caught a hummingbird!"

Click the image to open in full size.The mantis captures the bird with a swift swipe of its forelegs.

Not sure what to expect, but knowing my son is not one to make things up, I came running to see for myself. By the time I arrived it was too late for the poor hummer and my scientifically minded son had already begun taking pictures and studying the scene.

As you can see from the photographs this hungry mantis captured and killed a hummingbird not much smaller than itself. The mantis used its spiny left foreleg to impale the hummingbird through the chest while leaving his right leg free.

We surmised that the mantis ran the hummer through and dangled its full weight on its foreleg while he consumed the flesh of the hummingbird from the abdomen. After he had his fill, the mantis gave his foreleg several swift jerks and freed his leg.

Click the image to open in full size.The mantis impales the hummingbird's chest with its foreclaws.

This was an unfortunate experience for the hummer, but we are amazed to realize how fast, precise, and powerful the mantis must be to accomplish such a feat!

Richard L. Walkup

West Chester, PA

Now this is just insane!
Old 08-14-2005, 07:50 AM

easternflyfisher will become famous soon enougheasternflyfisher will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to easternflyfisher Send a message via MSN to easternflyfisher
Default Re: I now have mad respect for Preying Mantis's

i always thought i was the smart one never holding one of those things!

http://simpsonsigs.com/04/quotes01b.jpg
Old 08-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

That's one bad bug! Their mating ritual is even more extreme though...

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:35 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

I don't think I've ever seen one of those bugs that big in Texas. Sure didn't know they were that powerful and that much of a predetor. You're right, doesn't look like the kind of bug to try to hold in your hand.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:00 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I used to catch them and keep them as pets when I was like 10. They are way cool and have quite the personality. Well, at least I used to think so when I was a kid.

When I saw this it was really shocking to me.. I have seem 100's of these things and never witnessed anything quite like this.