The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: Deal on St. Croix Rods

Terry:

Your price on the St Croix 3wt is being sent via email and PM. Yes... I can get all Elkhorn rods. Some of the newer Elkhorn rods have not made it on to my web site yet. I expect that rod would be $159.00.

Yes... The Full Creel is a brick and mortar fly fly shop located at its stated address. I would say that about 75% of all of our sales are on-line.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-20-2005, 06:58 PM

Bahama Momma will become famous soon enoughBahama Momma will become famous soon enough

Can you get a St Croix Legend Elite 9wt 4pc? Also, can you get it by the first of October? Its a surprise birthday gift for my husband.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about

Hey Momma:

Your rod price has been emailed to you. Yes... all rod orders will be placed soon so they'll be here before October. Your husband sounds like a lucky man.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough

You will never regret the Legend Elite ... It is destined to become as classic as the G. Loomis GLX Megas and Premier. If my back was better and I wanted a new play toy, the Elite would be it in the 5-piece 8-weight.

Doug

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 08-21-2005, 11:03 PM

easternflyfisher will become famous soon enougheasternflyfisher will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to easternflyfisher Send a message via MSN to easternflyfisher

hey steve, please send me a price on the imperial 7'6ft 4 wt 2 piece rod. thanks!

http://simpsonsigs.com/04/quotes01b.jpg
Old 08-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Steve,
Thanks for the email of the prices. I have a few questions for you.

What is the Action on the St. Croix Legend Ultra U793-4 (7'9" - 3wt - 4pc)?

What is the Action on the Elkhorn Travel Series 803-4 (8' - 3wt - 4pc)?

What is the Action on the Echo (7'6" - 3wt - 4pc)?

I'm a newbie to fly fishing and everything I've read says to use a moderate/medium action rod. If this is not true please let me know.

I know that you have an Elkhorn rod already, and given the chose which one out of the three above would you pick for your next small stream rod?

If anyone else has an opinion on the matter please let me know.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Administrator

St. Croix Legend Ultra U793-4 (7'9" - 3wt - 4pc)? Fast
Elkhorn Travel Series 803-4 (8' - 3wt - 4pc)? Medium
Echo (7'6" - 3wt - 4pc)? Medium

Your are correct... Medium action rods are, by far, the best action for beginners. Most macho men won't admit it... but medium action rods are best for the majority of experienced fly casters as well... especially in 5wts and smaller. It takes a very good caster with expert timing and technique to get the most out of fast action rods. I've been fly fishing for a long time and I very much prefer medium action rods in my 5wts and under. I do however, prefer faster rods for my 8wts and above. As for small stream rods... medium or slow actions are ideal. They allow you more accuracy and more delicate presentations at short range.

Of the above three rods... the Echo (7'6" - 3wt - 4pc) is my favorite. This is a great rod. It will be my next small stream rod.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Steve,
One more stupid question from me and hopefully I can make my final decision on what rod I will be purchasing from you.

My biggest hang up about these rod selections that I have narrowed it down in my previous post is the rod length(see above).

Now, being a newbie in Fly Casting I somehow have the thinking that longer the rod the better. Must be a "Guy Thing"??? Does the extra length assist in the casting process or does it matter more that you use the proper techniqes of casting to get a longer cast?

Now, I know that it all depends on the application that you are planning to use the rod for: big river, medium river, small stream, etc. My thoughts are that I would use it for small stream but have the ability for the other applications. That may not be possible but in my thinking an 8' rod would be better for these situations as opposed to the shorter ones. Then again in a small stream situation casting a far distance may not be a issue. So, a shorter rod should do? What are your thoughts?

Also, why the Echo rod over the high dollar rods? How would you rate each?

Sorry, for so many stupid questions but while I have everyones attention I thought I would at least ask in order to not ask another stupid question in the future. I appreciate all the help you and the rest of you guy's provide.
Thanks,
Terry

P.S. Good Tread on the LMF!!!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Terry

First of all... let me assure you that these are not stupid questions. As a matter of fact, I have to admire someone for putting this much thought in their rod purchase decisions.

You have some very good points and I think you have almost answered your own questions.

For the average caster, a longer rod will usually assist them in making longers casts. So... if you're gonna want to be making 40ft+ casts on a regular basis then an 8' rod may be the better choice. (however, I've seen Doug Macnair regularly make 40ft casts with a 5 ft rod) If this rod is going to be a multi-purpose rod for small streams and for larger waters then the longer rod would probably be in order. If you're gonna use this rod as a small stream only rod then the 7'6" rod will be fine... so would the 8' rod. I would personally never go shorter that 7'6"... but thats me.

Both the Echo 7'6" and the Elkhorn 8'0" are excellent rods. I like them both very much. I presently use an Elkhorn 2wt 8'0" rod for small streams and it serves me very well. But, like I said, my next small stream rod will be the Echo 3wt 7'6". I have tried this rod and I really like it.

Doug says, "G. Loomis Metolius as being the best 3-weight I've thrown". I should probably use his lead to upsale folks. Doug has a point... the G.Loomis FR963-3 StreamDance METOLIUS - Presentation 3wt - 8'0" - 3pc is a very sweet rod. It retails for $350 and thats a good price for a rod like this. It is a gorgeous rod and it casts like a dream. It is a joy to cast. I have a G.Loomis StreamDance 4wt that is pure casting bliss. The G.Loomis StreamDance and Metolius rods are my very best looking and best casting rods... period. If you have $350 to spend then yes... by all means this is certainly the way to go. If you're trying to soften the financial blow then you can still do very well for less than half the price. Thats where the Echo and Elkhorn rods come in. They are very nice looking rods and excellent casting rods. The average caster will likely never notice the difference between the casting of the Echo and Elkhorn with the G.Loomis.

I'm sure you've allready read my article on small stream rods. Its at Favorite number of rod pieces?

I hope this helps. Perhaps Doug will chime in and give you his thoughts.

Steve

Old 08-22-2005, 11:18 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

me and bigdon are looking at 8wt. 2pc. premiers set up as a combo with line and backing for salmon fishing. was wondering what kind of price you have for this?