The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge Den (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/)
-   -   Gas Prices (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/614-gas-prices.html)

Fish Bones 09-09-2005 03:43 PM

Gas Prices

OK... another hot topic.

What's up with gasoline prices? Why do you think they're so high? Are they gonna get higher? ...how much higher?

Several of the major oil companies including Exxon and Chevron made a profit of over $30 Million just last quarter. The Exxon CEO gets paid over $30 Million per year. Other major CEO's make over $6 Million per year. They probably get their gas free.

What's up with that? Are we being gouged by the oil companies? Is their some price fixing going on?

Should they be held accountable for their actions? Is it just our free market system and supply & demand at its best... or worse?

Did anyone refuse to buy gas on Sept 1? Is anyone refusing to buy gas on Sundays? Is anyone doing anything to combat high pump prices? Is there anything we can do? Is it a hopeless situation?

Jump in and give us your opinion...

norcal FF 09-09-2005 05:46 PM

Re: Gas Prices

I am not buying as much gas lately. I'm not going to buy gas on Sundays. I live very close to work so I have been riding my bike instead of taking my truck.
I sure hope the prices come down. Travel costs to go fishing/camping are triple what they were just a few years ago. Thats pretty scary.

Chris

btw, here in northern CA gas costs b/w 2.90 and 3.05 per gallon right now, how does that compare to the prices where you guys are?

Curtis 09-09-2005 07:24 PM

Gas here is $2.85 for regular unleaded. $3.08 for diesel.

Fish Bones 09-09-2005 09:16 PM

In East Texas, we're looking at $2.85 to $3.01 depending on the grade. That changes almost every other day.

freeze69 09-10-2005 12:43 AM

indiana is 2.88 to 3.08 depending on the grade. unfourtanely i have to fill up at least twice a week. gotta drive about 86 miles round trip to work. and the wife drives that at least 3 times a week to go to college.

BigCliff 09-10-2005 02:09 PM

Prices were hovering around $3 where I live, but now have dropped $.15-.20. Its over $7/gal in the UK guys, these prices are something we had just better get used to.

On top of all the profit numbers, we should also consider the fact that the trans bill that congress recently passed included $7 BILLION in corp welfare for the oil companies. The idea was that they would use it to develop new technologies that are not foreign oil based, but why the hell would they do that when they are making record profits selling foreign oil.

I also seem to remember that one of the selling points for invading Iraq was that their oil would pay the costs of the invasion and occupation and that it would stabilze the world oil market. As it turns out, our gov't has spent $300 Billion of our tax dollars on the effort and now we are all paying TWICE AS MUCH AS WE DID BEFORE THE INVASION for petroleum. But at least we created a secular democracy in Iraq, oh no, that didn't exactly pan out either. I think we got shafted on that deal. (I could go ahead and add in my theory about the reason for invading Iraq being a big favor to Shrub's Saudi friends, but I'll hold off for now.)

BIGDON 09-12-2005 11:45 AM

sept 3rd upper michigan reg $3.46 the 10th $2.96 wasn't cheep fishing 5 for ice, 10 for bait, 20 for gas a day. and left flyrod at home. Now I have to work so i can go next year. BIGDON:fishing: