The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM

mikeo will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Fishing Music -- Folk Style

There was a discussion on another forum about great music to listen to while fly fishing. While surfing the Net, I found this website: "www.alancayn.net" -- although I couldn't seem to get the music streaming working just based on the Youtube of "Hapless Wader" I would have to say this is the best "fly fishing music" I've been able to find: "www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5f-yKH-Xx8" -- on top of that Alan Cayn is a "neighbour" being from Michigan.

Quotes from his website:
"Alan Cayn, who has performed in every imaginable venue over the past 25+ years, has a stage presence that both cajoles and soothes. This folk singer has gathered life experiences and presents them in his two CDs, in which the art of fly fishing is the vehicle behind the tale. "Hey! A Fish!" and "Streamside Confession" contain a diverse collection of original songs ranging from the comical to the sublime. His insights can be easily understood even if your hand has never held a fly rod.
With his rich, expressive voice, Alan Cayn also sings traditional and contemporary folk music, accompanying himself on mountain dulcimer, guitar, and a few surprise instruments. He presents material from the British Isles and North America, including lilting ballads and rowdy songs of the Seven Seas and Great Lakes that get feet tapping and hands clapping.
This consummate entertainer delivers a truly enjoyable performance for every audience."

Allan adds: "I've been passionate about music and fishing my entire life. The two have never let me down. Music has taught me that everyone and everything has a story to tell and a proper time for it's telling. Fishing, especially while tending a fly is a lesson in patience and observation."

These are his CDs (the song titles certainly imply fly fishing):

Hey! A Fish!

1. Hapless Wader
2. River River Riffle
3. Trout Lord
4. Shenandoah
5. Who Dropped This?
6. Celtic Melody
7. Tied To The Memory
8. Jordan's Hatch
9. Simple Gifts

Streamside Confession

1. Streamside Confession
2. Fly Fisherman's Alphabet
3. Big Ugly Bug
4. When The Ice Melts
5. Two Faces Of Spring
6. Demon Angler
7. In Between The Stars
8. Why I Write Fishing Songs
9. River Of Sand

I think these are the perfect fly fishing songs!!!!
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 PM

Cayn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly Fishing Music -- Folk Style

Hello Mike,

Thank's for finding and sharing my stuff with the forum. I agree with all of the responses. The sound of the surge of current against my waders or the echo of water under my hat brim not to mention the calls of birds is all a once in a lifetime experience. Can't hit rewind on that.
Like life, art serves to the memory, that's all.

Keep your fly wet...
Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Fishing Music -- Folk Style

I like listening to AC/DC when I fly fish.