The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 11:57 AM

justinjbruin is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing Tunes - What's Your "To The River" Playlist?

What's your "to the river" playlist? What music do you listen to when you're heading to fly fish?

When I put one playlist together recently, I included songs that I thought "paired well" with the act of standing in a beautiful river or stream with my fly rod. I also added the additional filter (very loosely applied, I admit) of only including bands that you might find playing in bars/pubs/taverns in towns like Missoula, Jackson Hole, or Bend. There is a lot of rock, some country, some folk, some blues -- most of it is fairly new music, too. I do have other playlists that are more "classic" in nature.

I should also note that these are not songs with lyrics that talk about fish, fishing, rivers, water . . . (Any references are incidental.) They're just good songs that -- I think -- go well with fly fishing. I'd love to hear thoughts, suggestions, other playlists . . .

Song - Album - Artist

1. Wrong - Hotied Revisited - The White Buffalo (yes, a nod to the movie Drift)
2. Rest Stop - Hello Zero - Pufferfish
3. Far and Wide - My Son's Home - Roadside Graves
4. Lay 'Em Down - The Outsiders - Needtobreathe
5. Bread & Water - Mescalito - Ryan Bingham
6. Seven-Mile Island - Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
7. Resurrection - Lost Boy - Bleu Edmonson
8. Where Dirt and Water Collide - The White Buffalo EP - The White Buffalo
9. Hold Us Together - Alive Again - Matt Maher
10. Washed By the Water - The Heat - Needtobreathe
11. Eve If It Breaks Your Heart - The Wreckage - Will Hoge
12. Mile High - Alex Woodard Live At Schubas - Alex Woodard
13. Valley of Tomorrow - Live Horses EP - Needtobreathe
14. Reachin' - Unlabled - The Britt Lloyd Band
15. Natchitoches Blues - Whatever Lady?! - Joey Green
16. Long Way Home - The Reckoning - Kasey Anderson
17. Hard Sun - Into the Wild - Eddie Vedder
18. Harlem River Blues - Harlem River Blues - Justin Townes Earle
19. Ignorance and Privilege - So Dark You See - John Gorka
20. Wrecking Ball - Swell - Pufferfish
21. Brooklyn NYC - Traveling Show - Hobo Nephews of Uncle Frank
22. The Elocutionist - Ron Franklin - Ron Franklin
23. Summer Light - Welcome Joy - The Cave Singers
24. Rise - Into the Wild - Eddie Vedder
25. Won't Turn Back - The Outsiders - Needtobreathe
26. The Wandering - Junky Star - Ryan Bingham
27. Girl Named Tennessee - The Outsiders - Needtobreathe
28. Snow Is Gone - Hello Starling - Josh Ritter
29. Love Song #1 - The White Buffalo EP - The White Buffalo
30. Society - Into the Wild - Eddie Vedder
31. The Moon - The White Buffalo EP - The White Buffalo
32. Sunshine - Mescalito - Ryan Bingham

Justin

Last edited by justinjbruin; 10-29-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly Fishing Tunes - What's Your "To The River" Playlist?

Hi Justin,

I moved your post over to the Lodge Den because that is where we jaw over topics that are not directly related to actually fishing.

Welcome to the forum,

It sounds like you are from Montana, is that correct? I hope you enjoy snooping around the many forums and threads that are present or active here. If you have any trouble finding your way around just ask how things work. There are many instructional threads to be found in the "Forums" listings. To get there click on the 'Forums" tab near the top of the page here.

Glad to have you,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-29-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Justin,

I moved your post over to the Lodge Den because that is where we jaw over topics that are not directly related to actually fishing.

Welcome to the forum,

It sounds like you are from Montana, is that correct? I hope you enjoy snooping around the many forums and threads that are present or active here. If you have any trouble finding your way around just ask how things work. There are many instructional threads to be found in the "Forums" listings. To get there click on the 'Forums" tab near the top of the page here.

Glad to have you,

Ard
Ard,

Thanks for the help and the welcome. Northern CA.

Justin
Old 10-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Do you fish mostly for trout or do you go north after the sea run fish? Here's another, are you more of a dry fly or wet fly type? It helps to know how someone likes to fish when reading their post or when responding to them.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Yes. I primarily focus on trout in the steams and rivers of the West -- California, Oregon, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho. I am a dry fly guy, when I can be -- which is most of the time. Just got back from a great trip to the McCloud River.

I am doing more and more Winter steelhead (to the North). That said, I am still mostly a small(ish) stream trout guy.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Administrator

I hear ya on this, road trips are exciting during the time before you go but............Unless you have a friend who is right there and can tell you exactly whats happening you have a 50/50 chance of success. I used to live in North Central PA. and it was 225 miles to the Ontario tributaries. I had to go mostly on long range weather forecasts and instinct and hope to find a fish once I got there.

Here I have a fair shot at things unless I decide to fish in the Kenai River or further down the road. it is almost 200 miles to where I fish in that river and you cannot plan on success just because someone else did well there.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:13 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Grateful Dead
Johnny Cash
Springsteen

That gets me to most of my trout stream destinations.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Sunday, 3am departure, Secret Sisters. milt.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:22 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Ultra-Lounge. Can't beat it.
Cool music

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Ultra+lounge&x=0&y=0
Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Since I have no radio in my jeep, its all in my head and this time of year I'm with chi flyfisher on the Dead, Without a Net 2nd set. Puts me in a good mood all day!