The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 AM

mikeo will become famous soon enough
Default All Dressed Up And Nowhere To Go

I was supposed to be fishing up on a Georgian Bay tribtoday -- friend of mine wanted to head back up there and try to hook some steelies we mised last week -- weather report sounded OK (only calling for snow flurries in morning and light rain this afternoon but temperatures were warmer so unlikely guides would freeze up so readily) -- arrangements made last minute and left open-ended as to what weather might be -- but my friend is crazier than I am when it comes to fishing -- he's a roadie with a rock band -- but lives to fly fish -- tries to get out as much as he can while on the road with band; relieves the "stress" from the rock and roll lifestyle -- has fished throughout USA and all over Canada -- his recent tour through Ontario included stopover in Toronto -- last Monday he went up to Primrose Trout Farm near Shelburne for a few hours of fly fishing (return trip from the week before when I went along) -- just so he could get a rod in his hands for a bit of trout fishing -- then Tuesday he "dragged" me up to Meaford with him (OK OK he didn't exactly "drag" me "screaming and kicking" out fishing) -- we fished through the day with snow flurries and occasional sun -- hooked onto a couple steelies -- then he drove back to north of Toronto where I live -- and after dropping me off at home, he drove to Bowmanville so he could fish a Lake Ontario trib before having to be in downtown TO for a gig at the Horseshoe (he made the decision to go to Bowmanville after asking my opinion on where "close" to Toronto could he fish?!?!?) -- the next day the band headed off to Ottawa for a gig Friday -- he stayed over in Bowmanville Wednesday night fished all day Thursday and drove to Ottawa Friday -- on Wednesday he'd seen some nice fish in the Lake Ontario trib but couldn't get one on (threw everything but the kitchen sink at them) -- Thursday he was luckier as he hooked and landed a 30+ inch steelie (guess he finally got his "revenge") -- after playing in Ottawa the weekend the band had another gig in GTA -- my friend drove back to Bowmanville Sunday and hooked a nice fish that afternoon -- so late last night he calls me up (knowing I rarely refuse an "excuse" to go fishing) and we made plans to get back up to Meaford today -- any way, I get all my gear sorted out and wait for his call this morning -- in fact all my stuff is at the door ready to go -- no call, but I figure he's on his way -- time passes and just before 11 am. my buddy calls -- I figure he might have slept in (tiring business being on the road with a rock band) -- turns out he had got up really early for "one last-minute" go at hooking into some more fish in the Lake Ontario trib -- and he had got onto some really nice fish -- any way, he apologizes for not picking me up -- must admit he did try to say he'd slept in at first until he realized he was calling me from the river and I might be able to hear the distinct sound of water -- then he admitted he'd gone out to try his luck one more time and had "lost" himself in a moment of great fishing -- he added "I hope you understand I'm sorry -- but I think I'll stay down here though -- the fishing is great!!!!" -- funny thing is I do understand (and probably would have done the same thing) -- just wish I could join him -- part of the beauty of being without a vehicle these days is having to "rely" on others -- still I really don't "blame" him for leaving me "high and dry" -- I mean the fish are on

Tight lines,
Mike
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

cb1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: All Dressed Up And Nowhere To Go

A good read MikeO.

I sat here enjoying it. I did have to rush off and put on a jumper when I read "The snow flurries" bit tho! Brrr.
I think we would all excuse your friends dilemma. he did have a very plausible excuse. These things happen!
Old 11-29-2008, 04:58 PM

mikeo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: All Dressed Up And Nowhere To Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Fogerty View Post
Great story. Whereabouts in Toronto do you live? I grew up in TO and moved away in 1975 when I was posted to Vancouver Island.

Go Leafs Go.

Jake
I'm north of Toronto -- in York Region -- close to some great trout fishing (Humber, Credit, Nottawasaga, to name a few) BUT not close enough to my liking -- looking at getting closer to my favourite waters soon
Tight Lines, Mike
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach