The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 08:33 PM

Cayn is on a distinguished road
Default Baghdad School of Fly Fishing

Can you imagine fly fishing in the dessert ponds of Iraq? Well there are a bunch of army, navy, marine personel that are doing just that. The Baghdad School of Fly Fishing was started over there some years ago and unfortunately is still open for class. Google the Baghdad School of Fly Fishing and it's pretty incredible, the photos and all. They do need some stuff over there for sanity sake and to catch some of those bible fish. I was thinking if there's as much unused extra fly gear out there as I have well they should be all set.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baghdad School of Fly Fishing

I think I will 'Google' it and take a look. Thanks Cayn.

That would be kind of fun to set up a few care packages for the folks, they wouldn't have to be fancy or too expensive, I bet they would probably be happy with some basic staples of tackle.

My wifes' Grandma had made up some simple homemade crafts that they have sent over, my wife then set up an e-mail account for her to hear from the troops that have been on the recieving end. I was amazed at how many responses she has gotten.

What do you think? We could almost do it like a fly swap......

****On edit.
Here is the link. Baghdad School of Fly Fishing Really have some odd looking fish there too.
After looking at the site it appears that they have already has some corporate sponsers that have supplied materials and equipment.****

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-15-2008, 09:04 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Baghdad School of Fly Fishing

Great looking fish, it looks more fun than trout fishing....

But that is what I call real fishing, standing there casting out into the lake wearing your M-16 or M-4 our your neck with a sling or packing your colt sidearm around your waist. The other interesting thing is in some of the pictures Al Faw is a palace that use to belong to Saddam.

If I could spare anything I would. But I bet it would be a nice gesture if the forum could organize anyone who is kind and willing to donate some free flies or raise money and buy some gear. We did a similar fund raiser on a small forum I also post on and bought 12 fly rod set ups from a local store that generously discounted them and donated them to the soldiers.