The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 02:15 PM

mikeo will become famous soon enough
Default Happy Thanksgiving From The Great White North!!!!!

Just a quick post to wish everybody in the good old USA a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!! Hope some of you get a chance to wet a line as well as whet your appetite!!!! And that you get to spend some time on or off the water with family and friends!!!! We had our Thanksgiving last month up this way (guess it's something to do with being Crazy Canucks). But I always think of all the things we should be thankful for, besides just a river full of fish, or a fly rod in our hands.

"I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 PM

Cayn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Happy Thanksgiving From The Great White North!!!!!

Well happy TG to you and yours,

Actually thanksgiving here used to be the same on the calendar as yours my fair trout. Then I think I remember for some reason Prez Lincoln changed it, I forget why. It probably had something to do with federal holidays. Makes sense to me that you Canadiens still celebrate harvest in a seasonable fashion.

Best wishes to yo! Cayn
Old 11-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Same to you Mike, Have a good Turkey Day.

Ard

"Just because you have arrived, don't forget how you got here" Ard Stetts
Old 11-26-2008, 08:01 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thanks Mikeo. I'll give "Thanks" for having friends in the Great White North. And, a belated happy Thanksgiving to you.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:34 AM

bilder is on a distinguished road

Happy Thanksgiving from Alaska.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Funny...I just watched a whole Thanksgiving extravaganza on the History Channel last night. Seems 'Thanksgiving' was a New England puritan get-together involving 'church attendance' more than eating - it always ocurred on a Thursday and usually was proclaimed by the state governor. Consequently, different states had theirs on different Thursdays throughout the fall.

A lady (whose name I already forget) was editor of a women's magazine in the 19th century. She began a letter writing campaign, every fall, to standardize the event and try to get it declared a national 'thanksgiving' day.

The southern states were not especially supportive of it as it seemed another attempt by the north to get the south to adhere to northern traditions. Abraham Lincoln ultimately declared the first 'official' Thanksgiving in something like 1863. They used the last Thursday in November since that was the date the above mentioned lady recommended. And, it was already in place as a 'day of thanks' in the New England states. Of course Christmas wasn't quite the commercial affair it is today! It seems the earliest New Englanders wouldn't really celebrate Christmas because they already thought it had gotten too out of hand! Wonder what they'd think now?!

There you go .......a brief and maybe not 'completely' accurate essay!

I agree, it's awfully close to Christmas - but it helps us Pennsylvanians. We always know that the first day of deer season is the Monday following Thanksgiving. Since the kids get off the first day of deer season (at least in our rural areas!), it gives them an extended break form school (thursday thru monday)! And, naturally,Thanksgivng afternoon is for sighting in the rifles!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:45 PM

mikeo will become famous soon enough

One more thought for Thanksgiving:

"We can always find something to be thankful for, no matter what may be the burden of our wants, or the special subject of our petitions." Albert Barnes
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach