The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 04:20 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Nymph fishermen VS dry fly fishermen

I received this from a good friemd and I thought I would pass this on for some fun on the forum.

I personally fish both ways so this is not meant to be against one or the other.

"Two good friends go fishing together, one a nymph fisherman and the other a dry fly fisherman, both believing strongly in catch and release.
Not wanting to get in each other's way they decide that one will fish upstream and the other down, and at an appointed time, meeting back at their starting point and tell of their success.

Question 1. Which was more apt to fish upstream and conversely, which was more apt to fish downstream and Why ?

Question 2. Which one would come closer to telling the truth about his catch and why ? Notice that I said 'come closer' for most of us occassionally stretch the truth about our fishing success.

Example: If I was skunked and asked by my Bud, " How many fish did you catch, Jim? " and I said, " Not many " That wouldn't be bald-faced lie, so there you go. " But, If I'd answered 'a few' that would have been a bald-faced lie.Get the idea ? ;-)

Question 3. Which one was apt to be first to the return point, and which one would be apt to be late and why ?

Question 4. Which one's outfit, tackle, rod, etc. was more expensive ?

Question 5. Which one would be more inclined to smoke cigars ?"

What would be your answers?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymph fishermen VS dry fly fishermen

This is easy

1)The nymph guy went upstream 'cuz if you're fishing down that would be 'wet fly' fishing, but you can fish a dry either way

2) The nymph fisherman told the truth simply 'cuz he caught more fish and had no reason to exaggerate

3) The dry fly guy fished longer 'cuz he was having more fun and lost track of time

$) The dry fly guy's equipment was more expensive 'cuz ..he's a purist.... very likely using a cane rod and a fancy reel

5)..?....the nymph guy.... who else would purposely stick one of those things in their mouths ?

Good post !
Old 12-30-2008, 04:57 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

I was sure that I would get some good responses with this one.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:15 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

I don't trout fish.

Couldn't really answer those questions.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

John I need more information to work with here.

Spring Creek, Tailwater, Freestone?

What time of year is this taking place?

What kind of weather?

Is it windy?

How good of friends are these guys?

Do they work together?

Single or married? Kids?

Does the cigar afficianado have a flask of fine Scotch to accompany his smoke?

This really is a funny thread. lol

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/