The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Career

Hi MikeyBob,

Just to keep things in order I have moved this thread to "The Lodge Den". This is the forum for all off topic threads. Nothing wrong with off topic threads but they should be in the correct forum.

Frank
Old 01-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi MikeyBob,

Just to keep things in order I have moved this thread to "The Lodge Den". This is the forum for all off topic threads. Nothing wrong with off topic threads but they should be in the correct forum.

Frank

We are going to have to talk sometime on how to do this...maybe in a PM.
By the way, how is your wife Frank?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough

i've taken in a lot from what everyone has said here, and i'm not going to make money my priority! i've heard it a million times in my life and its making sense now. right now i have to work on getting my grades up for Texas A&M before i make the detailed map of my life.

But for now its to become a business major, once that is accomplished, make sure i keep my grandma's money on the side until an emergency occurs of some sort. in that mean time find a temp job with what i have obtained from A&M or start my six months training at the game warden academy. once i feel i'm ready to live my life as a trout bum, i will find myself a ranch on a good river!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Just because you become a business major does not mean you will become rich off it. Many of the Business leaders today did not say when they were young. I want to be a billionaire and it just happened, lots of hard work and innovative ideas went into it. When I was a Computer Science major, my professor told me about how he hated the late 90s. The reason for that is all these people wanted to study Computer Science because they believed, "Hey I will study CS, graduate join a small startup, work there 5-6 years, let it go public and become a millionaire." Ironically I know quite a few guys that had that happen to them, but they got lucky. Actually most of those guys reinvested in their money in the markets and are back in school now because they lost most if not all of it.

My father gave me great advice when I started school. "Get a Degree that you can get a job with, not a degree that the Advisor says you can get a job in."
Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 AM

mikeo will become famous soon enough

Just my $0.02 worth -- I think we should anticipate changing careers (or rather jobs) several times in the course of our lives -- especially in these sometimes uncertain times -- for myself I started off with a degree in physical and health education -- leaving high school I wanted to be a teacher -- in university I got involved with working with an exercise based cardiac rehabilitation program and worked part-time in a fitnessclub -- thought about becomin a doctor -- pursued a second degree in biology -- to upgrade myself to get into med school -- all through this time worked a few summers at a boys' summer camp leading canoe trips -- in the end I went to the idea of teaching but specialzed inoutdoor/environmental education (took a special co-op degree program) -- taught with various school boards and conservation agencies for a number of years -- but because of lack of funding the programs were constantly being cut (especially in schools) -- and while I enjoyed travelling all over North America (mostly in Canada), I also found working on contracts of six months here and a year there a bit tiresome after a while (sometimes to fill in gaps between contracts I worked retail in outdoor sporting goods) -- and I wanted to settle down -- eventually I found myself in a second career in the social services working with the homeless, people with substance abuse issues or those mentally challenged -- I furthered my education in this field receiving diplomas in such areas as counselling and human services, and finally a degree in social work -- I did this for almost 15 years (working full-time as I goy my education part-time and/or by distance education) -- that was fine but working on the front line finally caught up with me -- I burnt myself out; and I found fly fishing among other things helped me "re-connect", "re-energize", and "rewind" -- so now I'm looking at yet another career change -- one that centers around all I love doing -- involving fly fishing -- doing some teaching -- doing some writing -- possibly some guiding -- being out of doors -- I hope to get my FFF certification -- develop programs for various groups around fly fishing -- I'm taking courses in writing and even web design (computers aren't something I grew up with but certainly very much a part of my life as it is with almost everybody) -- and I hope I'm able to create my own business (self-employment) doing so

So I might not be quite a "trout bum" -- but I am probably closer than I've ever been -- I'm happier than ever before -- finding a way to use most or all of my God given talents -- but after saying all of that I guess my biggest message here is that you may find yourself changing directions career wise or work wise several times over the course of your life -- never be afraid to do so -- but this is JMHO

Tight Lines,
Mike
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 01-12-2009, 09:34 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Life is to short. Do what you want that would make you happy. I work as a paramedic and I enjoy it because it gives me the hrs to spend with my kids.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:47 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

He wants to be a Game Warden. I see nothing wrong with that. I'm pretty sure you need a college degree to do that. So, go to school for something that interest you and you can fall back on if the GW doesn't work out.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 PM

MChief is on a distinguished road

Hello MikeyBob,

So you're leaning towards game warden, but possibly not as a life long career - and that you were thinking of majoring in biology with a minor in business, (by the way, many a college student has switched majors and minors while in school), and you have thoughts of owning your own business in the future... Your parents are right. Mind you, many parents have been down this road with our children.

Which brings me to, not everyone has or will make career changes along the way, and although there is nothing wrong with that, I am a guy who knew what he wanted to do before he left high school.

In 1982 I enlisted into the U.S. Navy. In November 2008, I retired at the rate of Master Chief Petty Officer. I should include I've always been the gung-ho adventurous type so I went into the Naval Special Warefare department. But I didn't serve on the big ships, I was in what the Navy refers to as Naval Special Warfare Boat Team, or for slang, the "brown water navy".

Now as one might imagine, during my 26 year career, I found myself in harms way on four seperate occasions (Grenada: Operation Urgent Fury, Panama: Operation Just Cause, Iraq: Desert Shield / Desert Storm, and Iraq: Operation Iraqi Freedom) but that was what I trained for. I began with Swimmer Delivery Vehicle Teams (SDVT), which were later redesignated SEAL Delivery Vehicle Teams. From there I was apart of the birth of (SWCC) Special Warfare Combatant-craft Crewman. Our job is to insert and extract U.S. Navy SEAL Teams (and sometimes Army Special Forces) while on combat missions. Anyway, the point being, I would not trade one moment of my naval career, nor do I have any regrets. I only wish I could have stayed active until my last breath of life.

Here's a U.S. Navy video clip (on YouTube) as to what we're (SWCC) is all about.
YouTube - SWCC - Navy's Best Kept Secret
As a matter of fact, the Navy chose my men and my training department at Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, Virginia to shoot their recruiting video.

So now I am finally making my first career change (if you will) into retirement. I plan to do a lot of salt water fly fishing once I relocate to my new home in Florida. Mind you I bought my first new boat too! I realize the military is not for everyone but it was for me. So with that said, I wish you the best of luck in whatever endeavors or career paths you choose.

All the best,
MChief
Old 07-10-2009, 09:24 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

My dad told me "Nothing you learn is wasted ". I have a degree in Photojournalism. Five years of 24-7 on a newspaper burned me out, it was great adventure and a good reality check about people and life.
Shot some weddings, sports, advertising, and nature too.
I've sold sports gear, home repair products, and cars. Taught rock climbing and guided, delivered balloons, plowed miles of furrows with a tractor. Landscaped and planted trees,as well as cut and sold firewood. I've waited tables, and groomed snow for skiers. For ten years I owned a general contractor bus. in Tahoe. There was plenty more, but it's gotten fuzzy over time.
Now I'm guiding fly fishing and worrying about fish, flows and clients.
A degree is a good place to start, (it takes some discipline to get through), but is no guarantee.
Something that is unaffected by politics, or the economy is a good strategy, let me know if you find it!
It's like Chevy chase said in Caddy shack. " Billy, be the the ball."
Life passes what ever you do, so have some fun.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:13 AM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
My dad told me "Nothing you learn is wasted ". I have a degree in Photojournalism. Five years of 24-7 on a newspaper burned me out, it was great adventure and a good reality check about people and life.
Shot some weddings, sports, advertising, and nature too.
I've sold sports gear, home repair products, and cars. Taught rock climbing and guided, delivered balloons, plowed miles of furrows with a tractor. Landscaped and planted trees,as well as cut and sold firewood. I've waited tables, and groomed snow for skiers. For ten years I owned a general contractor bus. in Tahoe. There was plenty more, but it's gotten fuzzy over time.
Now I'm guiding fly fishing and worrying about fish, flows and clients.
A degree is a good place to start, (it takes some discipline to get through), but is no guarantee.
Something that is unaffected by politics, or the economy is a good strategy, let me know if you find it!
It's like Chevy chase said in Caddy shack. " Billy, be the the ball."
Life passes what ever you do, so have some fun.
haha loved every word you just said! and because its my birthday, i just started up golfing, and you mentioned caddyshack i'm pretty sure i'm destined to play on the PGA tour

but great advice! and an update to all, i'm really considering teaching history or ranch management!