The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default Career

I know this isn't related fly fishing, but as a sophomore about to start my second semester, my parents made it clear i need to start focusing on a career path for my life. i'm not sure where exactly to start, so i went to the wisest people i know, fishermen.

My dad is a doctor, he told me the last thing in life he would want is for me to be a doctor. he doesn't want me working the hours he does, and put up with some of the people he has to.

my mom, she just wants me to be happy, she told me as long as i follow my heart she'll be happy for me, and will never look down on me for whatever i do as long as i'm happy, she even recommended being a game warden! which really surprised me!

but my question to you all is what do you do for a living? do you love it? and most importantly do you have a lot of spare time for fishing?

right now i'm thinking of majoring in biology, with a minor in business... i know its rude to talk about people dying, and nearly as rude, money, but i will inherit a lot of money from my grandma when she passes, and could possibly build a business off of that, while being a game warden.

i hope the mods here will take it to heart that i'm just a kid getting ready for the real world, just like i'm sure you guys were! and let this thread slip under their radar. if this thread does get closed down, and you're wanting to help a kid out please feel free to send me a PM

have a good one,
MikeyBob
Old 01-05-2009, 07:37 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Career

I don't think it will get closed, but I do think it will get moved.

I'm retired now, but drove an 18 wheeler for most of my life. I loved it and only quit, because I lost the sight of one eye.

Being a Game Warden would have been fun too.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

I am an Electrician, almost 10 years now. Do I love it, no, but it pays the bills. It really is not bad. I really enjoy welding. Guess I like working with my hands. I have plenty of time for fishing. For me school was over-rated. Never been interested in having tons of money. All I want is to be happy, and I think money does not bring that.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

I've completely wasted my life and by the time I realized it, it was too late. I married a wonderful woman, a pediatrician; raised two wonderful children, and managed non-profits that have helped countless people.

But you should be a trout bum! Please see John Geirach's book by the same name for complete instructions. Do not get married. Rather than children, get a dog. Invest your grandma's money in a place to live. If you ski, then you can be a ski bum during the winter. This is known as the much-sought-after double bum lifestyle.

On second thought, send your grandma's money to me. I still have kids in graduate school. They wouldn't take my advice to become trout bums.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
I've completely wasted my life and by the time I realized it, it was too late. I married a wonderful woman, a pediatrician; raised two wonderful children, and managed non-profits that have helped countless people.

But you should be a trout bum! Please see John Geirach's book by the same name for complete instructions. Do not get married. Rather than children, get a dog. Invest your grandma's money in a place to live. If you ski, then you can be a ski bum during the winter. This is known as the much-sought-after double bum lifestyle.

On second thought, send your grandma's money to me. I still have kids in graduate school. They wouldn't take my advice to become trout bums.
hahah i love it, honestly i didn't think that was much of a choice! i'm gonna actually read that, just for ****s and giggles.

i think living like that while being a game warden would work well, and i've looked up the hours, and while being a cadet you work around 171 hours in 28 days, which gives me a ton of time out doors as well! i just need to find a great spot where it isn't catch and release, good hunting in the winter, and i'm set!

thank you all for the help so far! i'd love more help cause nothing is ever set in stone.

MikeyBob
Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Mike –

Wow-a great topic, and kudos to you for thinking about your future. Your mom is right--- if you do what you love, you’ll love what you do, At some point you’ll be spending a lot of time working, so you may as well be happy while you’re there.

If you’re interested in Biology, Business and the outdoors there are a bunch of different ways you can go.

If you’re interested in fish, a good place to explore is the American Fisheries Society site. Here’s their job board, browse it to see qualifications for different jobs, and to get a sense of the work.
American Fisheries Society

The AFS also has chapters throughout the country, including Texas. Maybe you could work with your HS Guidance Counselor and Science teacher to “shadow” a professional fisheries biologist around for a couple of days to get a feel for what they do
Texas Chapter of the American Fisheries Society Home Page

Another way to get your feet wet and get a sense of what a job in Fish and Game might be like is to consider being a volunteer/unpaid intern. You could contact Lori at TPWF about opportunities for working at a hatchery, stocking fish stream or prairie restoration, bird banding or other wildlife work.
TPWD: Volunteer Opportunities in Texas State Parks

Or it might be possible to “shadow” a game warden, again working though your HS Guidance counselor, or arrange for a “information interview” with Colonel Flores or his office:
TPWD: Game Warden

Once you’re in college there are also opportunities for internships. In Texas there are opportunities with Texas Parks and Wildlife:
TPWD: Student Summer Internship Program Information

As well as opportunities like with the Federal government doing stuff like restoring native cutthroat trout in Yellowstone National Park (how cool is that?).

There are a ton of other career areas that build on a biology background including research and working in up and coming fields like genetics. In high tech start up companies that would make use of a background in business too. Many jobs will require advanced degrees (Masters and PhD), but here’s a link that will take you to a lot of info about other options for someone with an interest in biology:
Careers for Biology Majors

You can get the same sort of info on virtually anything by googling “careers in __(insert_whatever_floats_your_boat_here)___”

Finally, just keep in mind that you’re young, and the life will take you down many paths. If you would like to do a little exploring now, but really don’t know what you want to do, or what some of your options are, here’s a very good process to go through to see how your interests, skills, and values might match up with different careers.
Where Do I Go From Here? – 2008 MnCareers

If you’d like to explore some of those areas in more depth, here are some resources for career planning:
Career Choice - How to Make a Career Choice

And, your Dad may not want you to be a Doc, but you could always be a veterinarian. The patients are much nicer.

Hope some of this helps.

Peregrines

PS Actually, Alligator’s trout bum idea sounds pretty good right now.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Mike –

Wow-a great topic, and kudos to you for thinking about your future. Your mom is right--- if you do what you love, you’ll love what you do, At some point you’ll be spending a lot of time working, so you may as well be happy while you’re there.

If you’re interested in Biology, Business and the outdoors there are a bunch of different ways you can go.

If you’re interested in fish, a good place to explore is the American Fisheries Society site. Here’s their job board, browse it to see qualifications for different jobs, and to get a sense of the work.
American Fisheries Society

The AFS also has chapters throughout the country, including Texas. Maybe you could work with your HS Guidance Counselor and Science teacher to “shadow” a professional fisheries biologist around for a couple of days to get a feel for what they do
Texas Chapter of the American Fisheries Society Home Page

Another way to get your feet wet and get a sense of what a job in Fish and Game might be like is to consider being a volunteer/unpaid intern. You could contact Lori at TPWF about opportunities for working at a hatchery, stocking fish stream or prairie restoration, bird banding or other wildlife work.
TPWD: Volunteer Opportunities in Texas State Parks

Or it might be possible to “shadow” a game warden, again working though your HS Guidance counselor, or arrange for a “information interview” with Colonel Flores or his office:
TPWD: Game Warden

Once you’re in college there are also opportunities for internships. In Texas there are opportunities with Texas Parks and Wildlife:
TPWD: Student Summer Internship Program Information

As well as opportunities like with the Federal government doing stuff like restoring native cutthroat trout in Yellowstone National Park (how cool is that?).

There are a ton of other career areas that build on a biology background including research and working in up and coming fields like genetics. In high tech start up companies that would make use of a background in business too. Many jobs will require advanced degrees (Masters and PhD), but here’s a link that will take you to a lot of info about other options for someone with an interest in biology:
Careers for Biology Majors

You can get the same sort of info on virtually anything by googling “careers in __(insert_whatever_floats_your_boat_here)___”

Finally, just keep in mind that you’re young, and the life will take you down many paths. If you would like to do a little exploring now, but really don’t know what you want to do, or what some of your options are, here’s a very good process to go through to see how your interests, skills, and values might match up with different careers.
Where Do I Go From Here? – 2008 MnCareers

If you’d like to explore some of those areas in more depth, here are some resources for career planning:
Career Choice - How to Make a Career Choice

And, your Dad may not want you to be a Doc, but you could always be a veterinarian. The patients are much nicer.

Hope some of this helps.

Peregrines

PS Actually, Alligator’s trout bum idea sounds pretty good right now.
thanks for all the links, you're one hellave guy! and don't think i forgot about sending you pics of my fish... i'd send em if i caught any! but getting skunked 3/3 times since i've started fly fishing and still lovin every second of it makes me feel worthy of Alligator's idea... i just need a lil more practice first!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Mike I was in your shoes two years ago, I as a sophomore in college who started off studying Computer Science. It was fun but I did not want to do it for a full time job. I deciding until I found a major I would study Math. I love math but through math I rekindled my love for science. There and than I decided I would study Biology. My parents thought I was crazy because I said I would also do a double major, Math and Biology. My Junior year I added a minor to that mix up, economics. Don't ask me why. In my summer between my sophomore and Junior year I got to spend the summer in Alaska studying the local fish species in the rivers also studying local insects. Lots of fun. I could go into Game Warden but I decided after I graduate next year I will go into research. I love Biology, Math, and Economics. Oneday I hope to study Mycology and Entomology. There is lots you can do with Biology.

Just remember onething if anyone ever tells you they could not find a job as a Bio major it just means they were not fully committed to it. And if you do study biology, look for professors doing research even if you do not want to go into research it is still a good resume booster.

When I was Alaska it was before I learned to Fly Fish, wish I got into it years ago.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread!

I could say, do something that for the most part, makes you happy because life is too short.

I have been in retail, manufacturing, more retail, to now, I play Rock and Roll and guide. Not yearly great money, but not all bad. Playing music, sometimes $1,000. a weekend....guiding $1,000. a week, but this is not constant. I am married though LOL

I think I love working with my hands and without trying to sound too tom boy-ish, I wanted to be a mechanic or lately electrician. Basically because there will always be a need.
But this is what I like to do even though there are days you want out.

Nice to have the young here.....good luck!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Oh to be young again! LOL!

My original degree was in Park Administration and I started out working as a park ranger for the State Park Service and later worked in administration for the National Park Service. Not a bad career and it seems like you're into that type of work. That might be a more sane career then being a game warden. I have friends that did that too ......... it can be tough!

Of course, things can change ........... I now work as a photographer; mostly weddings, seniors, etc. and I own a few apartment buildings (you know, the landlord thing). I do o.k. and the great part is that I tend to have a lot of 'middle of the week' time available to fly fish. Exactly the time when most of the streams are empty ....or close to it.

My kids?.........well, one is an aerospace engineer, another has a masters in health administration and works for the Veterans Adm. and the youngest is an accounting major?! They make more $$ than me but work a lot more hours! They probably didn't think my lifestyle was 'secure' enough!

Enjoy the search but it's not like your committed for life!