The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default birding

Besides fishing my other great love in the outdoors is brid watching, I have a pair of Bushnell Buckhorn in a 10 by 42, they are great when I am just hikeing or watching my feeders. Now how does this come into fly fishing? I have been thinking about buying a new pair of binocs to carry in my chest pack and was wondering if any one here does that and if so what kind do you use and do you like them? I am looking for a decent pair of very small ones that will fit into my big pocket on my pack, water proof, light weight and clear optics, I dont want to spend 800-1000 for a high end pair. Does anyone have any reviews of ones they like or good ideals?
Thanks for any input
Bear
Old 01-16-2009, 11:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: birding

I carry a monocular in my saltwater vest
It's a cheap one.. don't even know the brand, but it's 'pocket sized' and not too heavy.
When patrolling the beach, it pays to watch what the birds are up to. They're looking for fish too as game fish will often push bait.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I, too, carry a monocular while on the water. If it's a really incredible bird, or one I've not seen before, I've been known to leave the water to get my more powerful binoculars from the car!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:37 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I havnet gave much thought to a monocular, I'll have to check some out, thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to hear about the monoculars- never used one.

I usually keep a powerful set of 'nocs in the truck for glassing (SW fishing). And a pair of smaller ones that were a gift from Sharper Image that are probably similar to ones you see for 100 bucks or so and they're OK with so-so optics, but tend to get in the way while fishing.

If you're really into birding you might want to check out this link to "rare bird alerts" by state (there's a couple for your area):
Rare Bird Alert

I check in with the one around here once in awhile, and it's amazing what passes through--- even in Central Park in the middle of NYC. There have been Hawk Owls, Gyrfalcons, and strays from Europe that have been blown off course after storms. And there are a lot of semi regular visitors from the high arctic- snowy owls, eider ducks etc that show up every year around here along the barrier beaches, and a big hawk/falcon push in the fall during their migration.

peregrines

btw, when I went to pick a username to set up an online account many years ago, I looked out of my office window at the world trade center and saw a peregrine falcon using a pipe on a roof top as a hunting perch. They had been reintroduced by Cornell to nest on high rises in downtown Manhattan on Wall Street and the top of the Brooklyn Bridge. A male would show up every afternoon to look for pigeons and then swoop off, dive, and nail them in an explosion of feathers. Very cool.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Interesting to hear about the monoculars- never used one.

I usually keep a powerful set of 'nocs in the truck for glassing (SW fishing). And a pair of smaller ones that were a gift from Sharper Image that are probably similar to ones you see for 100 bucks or so and they're OK with so-so optics, but tend to get in the way while fishing.

If you're really into birding you might want to check out this link to "rare bird alerts" by state (there's a couple for your area):
Rare Bird Alert

I check in with the one around here once in awhile, and it's amazing what passes through--- even in Central Park in the middle of NYC. There have been Hawk Owls, Gyrfalcons, and strays from Europe that have been blown off course after storms. And there are a lot of semi regular visitors from the high arctic- snowy owls, eider ducks etc that show up every year around here along the barrier beaches, and a big hawk/falcon push in the fall during their migration.

peregrines

btw, when I went to pick a username to set up an online account many years ago, I looked out of my office window at the world trade center and saw a peregrine falcon using a pipe on a roof top as a hunting perch. They had been reintroduced by Cornell to nest on high rises in downtown Manhattan on Wall Street and the top of the Brooklyn Bridge. A male would show up every afternoon to look for pigeons and then swoop off, dive, and nail them in an explosion of feathers. Very cool.
How cool that would have been to see, thats one thing I love about birding, its kinda like fishing, u never know what may pop up.
I once drove 4.5 hours to see a lewis woodpecker when I lived in MO, it was like the thrid time that woodpecker had been seen in MO. I kinda thought thats may have been how you got your user name. Where I live in AR there is a private refuge that this time of year is home to 50 or more trumpater swans, they just showed up one day a few years ago and now winter here every year. Thanks for the link I'l lcheck that out
Bear
Old 07-13-2009, 05:08 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I frequently mix birding and fly fishing. Birds help me track bug stages, and even types of bugs by the birds feeding behaviors. Fishing with bino's can come in handy for spotting risers on the stream too. Much more water can be viewed in a glance.
During a Damsel hatch on lakes, I often glass the reeds edge for piggies, hunting nymphs in the shallows, or bumping into reeds, knocking tenerals back into the water.
I purchased my Nikon 5x30 @ after Christmas sales. Slightly more than $100 but works better in low light, right when you need them to work.

The "Lewis's" live down the street from me, and are among my favorite visiters to my feeder. Best bird moment this year, was a sunset hatch of termites, the Lewis's flashed red and white as they fed 40 ft. above on the wing.
From 3ft. away at the feeder, they look like giant humming birds! (sort of)