The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree445Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Putting a face to the name

Wouldn't you know it the only really good photo I have where I don't look goofy was from this past June at the San Juan- the funny thing is the fish in the photo was one of the small ones!

Click the image to open in full size.

And to redeem myself on the big fishies:

Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

There's no need to sweat the size of a fish newby, you are posting to a group that will consider the quality of the character before the size of the fish. If the only fish I had ever caught were to have been big fish I would have learned 99% less and caught about the same

Ard
mcnerney, fly_guy12955 and yonder like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsten View Post
Hello William,

You have a nice guide with you
Like many guides, she let me know, in no uncertain terms, when time was up
madjoni and thorsten like this.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

This is me and my good friend and comedian Mike Harding at the Irish fly fair in Galway last week, boy did we drink some Guinness on Saturday night
imxer, mcnerney, kelkay and 3 others like this.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

This thread makes me want to grow out my mustache haha
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post
This thread makes me want to grow out my mustache haha
A stache makes a person 38% better looking
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

There's no need to sweat the size of a fish newby, you are posting to a group that will consider the quality of the character before the size of the fish. If the only fish I had ever caught were to have been big fish I would have learned 99% less and caught about the same

Ard
LOL I know what you mean. I don't mind small fish, I sat in one spot my first day at the Juan catching small 10" stocker after 10" stocker and filled a couple hours just doing that- and to be honest, catching a small wild brook trout is just as satisfying as landing a 20" rainbow to me. I also love to chase 6-10" bluegills!

I just thought it was funny that the only picture I looked like I knew what I was doing in was one of the fish in the bottom 40% of size range.

Case in point:

I kinda look like I know what I am doing here:

But with the landed fish I look like I'm crazy!

mcnerney and kelkay like this.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

Floated the Juan with Chip from Aztec Anglers, July 7th. This was my first fish of a great day and the biggest trout I've ever landed. It also started my addiction to fly fishing. Actually, that's the only fish photo I've got . At least, so far. Another accomplishment is getting my wife hooked as well, particularly on the Juan. Here, she is just upstream of Cable Hole, hooked up with her second of the day over Columbus Day weekend:

Newby - in those photos, is that just downstream of Baetis Bend?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM

Lacanadio- all four of those photos are from a single trip this year after ramp-down in early June. Each one of those fish was caught sight fishing a dry fly- a big black ant.

To answer your question, the first two pictures are from the upper flats. The last two are indeed just downstream of baetis bend.
lacanadio likes this.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
LOL I know what you mean. I don't mind small fish, I sat in one spot my first day at the Juan catching small 10" stocker after 10" stocker and filled a couple hours just doing that- and to be honest, catching a small wild brook trout is just as satisfying as landing a 20" rainbow to me. I also love to chase 6-10" bluegills!

I just thought it was funny that the only picture I looked like I knew what I was doing in was one of the fish in the bottom 40% of size range.

Case in point:

I kinda look like I know what I am doing here:

But with the landed fish I look like I'm crazy!

Its ok everyone is a little crazy anyways.