The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree1014Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Show us Your Photography

Most excellent shots and a unique description of your equipment and shooting style. All of my reptiles are from old Kodachrome slide transparencies, scanned into digital images. there is a bit lost in translation but I do have an Eastern Timber Rattler in yellow phase to go with

Click the image to open in full size.

Circa 1999 shot with a Minolta SRT 200 and a Rokkor 100 mm f2.8. I haven't a clue of the settings I used but the snake was shot on slope and the lay of the land lent itself to the overall effect.

I've a camera in my hand by the time you read this
kwb likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

took this about an hour ago of a fellow artists newest blacklight airbrush project. artist is Chuck Carman comidian, artist, musicain. youtube him his stuff is hilarious.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:01 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Dave, you are right on point about learning to edit one's own work. I have a background in visual art and have worked in the gallery/museum field for some years now...and without a doubt editing is one of the most important, and sometimes most difficult, aspect of the artistic process to learn. In all visual art media, but photography for certain simply because it is so easy - particularly now in the digital era we live - to amass so many images so quickly. So one can either go your route and shoot a bunch and be really critical on yourself and edit out a lot, or slow way down and observe before you shoot. The latter is a bit of an "old fashioned", film way of working though.

It's hard to believe that you captured that image on a P&S. That is excellent.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

That airbrush work is cool. Great photo of it as well. It's hard to get the camera angle just right so as to not distort the work. I do some pencil drawings occasionally, and I sell prints of them. I've gone to taking photos of the original drawings to use for printing rather than having them scanned at the print shop. The lights in the scanners are too bright, and the images come out over-exposed. I lose some of the faint shading when the lights blow out the lighter areas.

But I have much better luck setting up the drawings outside in bright sunlight and then taking photos. I set the camera up on a tripod and get it perpendicular to the drawing with the sun off to one side and behind the camera. That prevents glare. I set it to ISO 100 and f/16 or so to get good sharpness (usually use my Canon 70-200 f/2.8L lens at 70mm). I set a custom white balance using an expodisc to make sure that the color temp is right. Then I do just very minor editing in Lightroom and/or Photoshop to get the print to look as close to a real pencil drawing as possible. The giclee' inks always seem to print a little blacker than real pencil, but they come out looking pretty nice.

stimulator2 and kwb like this.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Great illustrations, Shane! Those deer are some absolute monsters too! I wish I could have ONE deer that size walk past my stand, let alone four... An incredibly realistic recreation of the scene, and I like how the deer in the foreground breaks the frame, just as you incorporate the one tuft of grass into the frame. Just a spectacular piece!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

Thank you, sir. My client on that drawing had a photo of that scene, taken on his family ranch. Must be a great place to hunt.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:15 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

awsome. always good to make a art rendition of a real place
Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Opening day in northern California.
stl_geoff, kwb and mysticm like this.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Looks good Carl, I went to test a new rod this evening. No fly tied on, just casting line & leader.

River up;

River down;

Rod & Reel;

kwb and siskiyoublues like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Thats some good stuff Carl. Do you have a flickr account at all?

Hard - there is still snow on the mountains.....buuuurrrrr...no thanks haha. Sure is pretty though.

Heres a photo of a drawing of another photo. Friend took the photo, I decided to draw it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher