The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree1055Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Show us Your Photography

Beautiful Pictures!

Denali & Foraker
Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, milt spawn and Flygrain like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Account on hold

guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold
Default Confessions of a bird nerd

I have taken a few distant photos of Indigo Buntings in the past. This spring they are thick on my property and I had no problem attracting them to my window feeder. Im shooting these with a Macro lens. I am behind a blind approximately 12-18" from the bird! When this guy came in and posed for about 100 shots, I figured, OK, been there done that! Next bird please! SO, the next challenge was getting a close up portrait of an Oriole. I cut an orange in half and put it in the feeder. 30 minutes later, I checked the feeder to see 4 Orioles lined up to get at the orange! CHECK! Nailed him!
A GREAT afternoon behind the lens!

Female Indigo Bunting

Male

Baltimore Oriole

Female Oriole

Rose Breasted Grosebeak

Purple Finch

Then this bully dropped in and cleared the crowd

Old 05-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confessions of a bird nerd

Perhaps the best Bunting & Oriole pictures I've ever seen!

Now, without looking it up............ do you know what makes the Indigo Bunting peculiar among the bunting family?

Once a bird fanatic always a bird fanatic, when I lived in Pennsylvania I was the conservation chairman for the Lycoming Audubon Chapter. During those years I was active in the Eastern Bluebird restoration program and many other efforts. Some may find it hard to believe that 'Birding' can be an exciting thing.

But now, back to the question about that bunting..............
Flygrain likes this.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Account on hold

guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold

Im not certain of the answer you're looking for, however, I do know a very interesting fact about them. Their feathers aren't blue. They are black! The structure of the feathers reflects light in a way that only appears blue. I believe I read this in an Audubon guide.

Thanks for the compliment Ard! I was very excited to get these images.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Administrator

That's the correct sniglet of trivia !
Flygrain likes this.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Account on hold

Woohoo! Whado I win I looked up interesting facts on indigo buntings after I posted and found another really cool fact....

•Indigo Buntings migrate at night, using the stars for guidance. Researchers demonstrated this process in the late 1960s by studying captive Indigo Buntings in a planetarium and then under the natural night sky. The birds possess an internal clock that enables them to continually adjust their angle of orientation to a star—even as that star moves through the night sky
Old 05-21-2014, 09:08 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

HI yall, sadly I havent been fishing much, lots of stuff going on. I just picked up a SUP board, so maybe ill get out soon, in the mean time here is a shot of my Gecko.

Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:15 PM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels, itchmesir and Flygrain like this.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Account on hold

Old 06-07-2014, 10:15 AM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

Flygrain
What setup did you use to get the loon and baby loon?