The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 06:16 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Show us Your Photography

Carl, what filters/photo editing do you use? Besides quality composition, great fishy subjects, etc., there is some lighting elements missing from my photos that yours definitely have. And as far as my video being on facebook, I did not even know that was the case. Neat! I just threw together another for a buddy of mine. One of these days I'll actually put some thought into it and get some good footage on the stream, but until then, I'll keep putting together spur-of-the-moment video blogs and enjoying it

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Carl, what filters/photo editing do you use? Besides quality composition, great fishy subjects, etc., there is some lighting elements missing from my photos that yours definitely have. And as far as my video being on facebook, I did not even know that was the case. Neat! I just threw together another for a buddy of mine. One of these days I'll actually put some thought into it and get some good footage on the stream, but until then, I'll keep putting together spur-of-the-moment video blogs and enjoying it
next time we get together will have to do a neat video, and haul mu tripod back to put the gopro in the creek. I havent picked up the good under water housing yet, but the water has been murky till last week, its clear now. wont have audio unless theres a segment to talk, then I can open the cam for the mic.
Mike

AJ where is your videos?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:30 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

We can do multiple video sources, we can take audio with my camera on shore.

As far as my videos, try here: A.J. Gottschalk's videos on Vimeo

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-17-2012, 07:39 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

well to break it down,
I always shoot in RAW, that allows for the highest resolution file possible to bring into post process. All DSLR's and some point and shoots can shoot raw.
I import photo's into adobe Lightroom 3 where I will adjust white balance, contrast, toning, and any other adjustments I decide I want/need. Sometimes I will bring images into photoshop and use a plugin called alien skin exposure which is a film simulator. The one I have is a couple generations old so I imagine it's even better now.
Too bad that stuff costs an arm and a gonad.
Also you have to factor in that I am using some nice gear and some very nice glass. Probably (way) too nice for some of the locations but once your spoiled with the potential for image quality and nothing else will cut it so you just carry extra dry bags for crossing the river. It doesn't make as much a difference in web sized postings but once you spend some time looking at details at a 100% magnification it becomes glaringly clear.

Anyway, to sum it up, if you don't have lightroom already consider downloading the trial from adobe's site and spending some time playing with sliders. I've had the pleasure of working with the program since it was first released but regardless of experience it's a million times more user friendly then photoshop.

I hope that helps! if you want to PM me with any specifics go for it and I'll try to help.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 PM

I have Adobe Elements but should probably pick up Lightroom, especially as I continue to trek down this photography path. I have a point-and-shoot, but a decent one (a Canon SX40 HS)... with the CHDK, I can get it to shoot in RAW. I may be bothering you up some more in-depth stuff, but until then I'll just drool over your photos

Old 02-17-2012, 09:37 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I have Adobe Elements but should probably pick up Lightroom, especially as I continue to trek down this photography path. I have a point-and-shoot, but a decent one (a Canon SX40 HS)... with the CHDK, I can get it to shoot in RAW. I may be bothering you up some more in-depth stuff, but until then I'll just drool over your photos
just to add on to this, I have been shoot DSLR for maybe 6 years+ and I rarly use raw.. I know some friends of mine think Im crazy for it, but it seems atleast with my older XTi the raw stuff never looks as good to me, more noise. then the jpeg copy. I have been using photoshop 7 up till about 2 weeks ago, I got Elements 10, I use the canon digital photo pro program that came with the camera to convert raws when I do shoot them. the biggest thing yoll want to play with is the manual modes. and have fun. shoot alot its free to shoot digital.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I used to capture a RAW issue of everything I took a picture of. What it really was doing was to fill up all my available storage space on the computer, aux hard drives and etc. i stopped saving them some time back. The picture below is just a plain photo, no software enhancement, a 10.2 mpx photo from a Nikon D80 shot manual.

Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-18-2012, 11:03 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I love that yellow and green. If I start driving now how long until I make it there? Jeez I wish.

[quote=Hardyreels;398879]I used to capture a RAW issue of everything I took a picture of. What it really was doing was to fill up all my available storage space on the computer, aux hard drives and etc. i stopped saving them some time back. The picture below is just a plain photo, no software enhancement, a 10.2 mpx photo from a Nikon D80 shot manual.

Hah and that's the other side of things! Certainly less hassle.
I will admit to really enjoying the time spent working on images on the computer. I imagine it is like tying flies for some. For others it is an eye straining tedious pain in the boot.
I've decided to stick with shooting raw and buying extra hard drives because A) I enjoy the computer work, and B) you don't know if you are going to need or want to print an image. It is nice to know I can make 30x40's of everything in my library. TB hard drives are cheaper then ever and I imagine it will keep getting easier and easier to log and backup digital files.

Here's another from that day, trying to keep the fish out of the limbs...(not enough pictures in this thread lately!)

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I don't think this is posted to the thread, taken years ago with my Kodak 4600 4 mpx camera. It is a favorite spring picture. In the mountains after ice out I was prowling this stream for rainbows that come up from the lake when the ice goes.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-18-2012, 12:45 PM

Beautiful scene Ard, I have dirty dreams about fishing locations like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
just to add on to this, I have been shoot DSLR for maybe 6 years+ and I rarly use raw.. I know some friends of mine think Im crazy for it, but it seems atleast with my older XTi the raw stuff never looks as good to me, more noise. then the jpeg copy. I have been using photoshop 7 up till about 2 weeks ago, I got Elements 10, I use the canon digital photo pro program that came with the camera to convert raws when I do shoot them. the biggest thing yoll want to play with is the manual modes. and have fun. shoot alot its free to shoot digital.

that is because the JPEG has been through the computer's jpeg processing already. It has been refined and finished.
he raw file is unrefined, un white balanced and no contrast, sharpening or noise processing has been added by the camera.
Side by side the JPEG out of camera should look better 100% of the time. For me it is like shooting a negative(raw) vs shooting a polaroid or chrome.

I'm not telling anyone what they are doing is wrong. I know many better photographers then me that don't bother with raw either. I am just trying to give both sides a fair shake.

Edit: I wanted to add that I do firmly believe that if you are shooting with the intent of printing your images larger then 8x10 you should always be shooting raw. That way you can convert to TIFF instead of JPEG and have uncompressed file that is large enough to print.

Although who shoots to make prints anymore, thats an interesting topic maybe?

Steelheader's Anonymous.

Last edited by siskiyoublues; 02-18-2012 at 01:20 PM.