The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 02:26 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Show us Your Photography

Prints are still totally worth it, as much as I love digital media, I often find myself printing shots for a number of reasons... I'm definitely going to download the CHDK so I can apply it to my camera and start shooting in raw, though I know that my current jpeg shots can be made into good-sized prints already thanks to a decent 12mp sensor.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-18-2012, 04:03 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
Beautiful scene Ard, I have dirty dreams about fishing locations like that.

that is because the JPEG has been through the computer's jpeg processing already. It has been refined and finished.
he raw file is unrefined, un white balanced and no contrast, sharpening or noise processing has been added by the camera.
Side by side the JPEG out of camera should look better 100% of the time. For me it is like shooting a negative(raw) vs shooting a polaroid or chrome.

I'm not telling anyone what they are doing is wrong. I know many better photographers then me that don't bother with raw either. I am just trying to give both sides a fair shake.

Edit: I wanted to add that I do firmly believe that if you are shooting with the intent of printing your images larger then 8x10 you should always be shooting raw. That way you can convert to TIFF instead of JPEG and have uncompressed file that is large enough to print.

Although who shoots to make prints anymore, thats an interesting topic maybe?

Click the image to open in full size.
I know how raw works,, but even after processing things are noisey, I need a newer camera, perhaps the new stuff works better. I sell 12x8 prints at a gallery that I get printed from my mbphotos site, that lab does good. and alot of photo product available, even mouse pads
Old 02-18-2012, 04:55 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I would say look at other raw conversion softwares before new camera technology. The XTI has a pretty phenomenal sensor and canon's in camera JPEG processor is about as good as it gets. (that's coming from a non canon guy). If the camera can do a better job then probably best to let it. I have had different experiences.

I also don't want to muddle with what works!

Regarding printing, just for curiosity sake I went back and re-exported that black and white picture as a tiff file. It was about 98 mb. It would be about a 10 mb jpeg.
Like I said, if what you are doing is working dont change because of some guy on the internet.
I just also know I would rather be printing that 98 mb file.

Man I wish you guys lived closer, I'd love to have this discussion out over a pot of camp coffee after some steelhead fishing.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I've gone in and out of photography fazes. I've never been as serious about it since I stopped using film. I taught me the basics of exposure on his Minolta 35mm when I was 16 years old. I learned how to use an old darkroom in a closet in my high school.

Digital P&S just never worked for me, for obvious reasons if you've ever shot film with a good old Japanese SLR. I finally bought a used digital Rebel on fleabay after my daughter was born...the lack of control of the $300+ point and shoots is criminal. But it's an old 8MP Rebel with that same old awful kit lens. It's better but I'm pretty sick of it these days. I have never shot in RAW, probably because I'm not crazy about the computer work, but then again all I know is Photoshop and it's just such a enormous program...

So, I am really intrigued with the M4/3 cameras. I have been reading about them and review of them for too long now. I plan on buying an Olympus Pen E-pl3 for my birthday in a couple weeks. I reckon it'd be a good time to look at Light Room as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
that is because the JPEG has been through the computer's jpeg processing already. It has been refined and finished.
he raw file is unrefined, un white balanced and no contrast, sharpening or noise processing has been added by the camera.
Side by side the JPEG out of camera should look better 100% of the time. For me it is like shooting a negative(raw) vs shooting a polaroid or chrome.
I guess I never took the time to understand what RAW really meant. How do you even begin to find the proper balance of contrast/color saturation/white balance? Where do you start?

Thanks for the info, Carl and everyone else. I like reading this thread. Great images.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It won't be long until the breakup and I'll be back on the rivers. It's been a wait and since the photo thread always needs to be fed I dug up some shots from Last May I think, coulda been May of 2010.................. These are taken from the Yentna River as I travel to the cabin. It's a trip you don't forget when you have a clear day.

The Yentna is a big river by any standard and the trip is long, almost 80 miles, so I take pictures often.

This is what things look like after you have passed the Skwentna River confluence, a little less water and the valley narrows as you head toward Yentna Glacier.

madjoni and caseywise like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-18-2012, 08:41 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Prints are still totally worth it, as much as I love digital media, I often find myself printing shots for a number of reasons... I'm definitely going to download the CHDK so I can apply it to my camera and start shooting in raw, .
CHDK is a asweet software hack. totally worth it on Canon P&S cameras. i never shoot raw, only because i have yet to REALLY need it. Im sure i probably should when shooting weddings but im comfortable enough with jpeg. plus most of my paying clients have wanted jpegs and i dont always charge what i should, so i try to keep work down to a minimum on my end.

I still print things now and then, i think i'll be shooting and printing more since i'll have a new born in a couple weeks.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-18-2012, 08:50 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
It won't be long until the breakup and I'll be back on the rivers. It's been a wait and since the photo thread always needs to be fed I dug up some shots from Last May I think, coulda been May of 2010.................. These are taken from the Yentna River as I travel to the cabin. It's a trip you don't forget when you have a clear day.

The Yentna is a big river by any standard and the trip is long, almost 80 miles, so I take pictures often.

This is what things look like after you have passed the Skwentna River confluence, a little less water and the valley narrows as you head toward Yentna Glacier.

great pics ard.
thats quite a river man. never fished it, but have driven by it a few times
i can now see why you love your boat so much, that river alost requires one.
good stuff

casey

ARFE
Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

took this from my kitchen window last night.. it was a tense half hour..
Mike
Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Peppy!

Just a couple moose here overnight, I think my baby moose is still alive

Just a trout that I found in my photo files;

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-18-2012, 11:56 PM

im just glad the killer cat that lives on our back porch didnt try to tangle with peppy. good ole county wildlife.. haha.