The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Possible Scam in the Classified Forum

I have a rod and reel in the Classified forum, and received an email from someone asking for my address. He wanted to mail a money order, and would
have his "transporter" take receipt of the goods. He claimed to be busy with
missionary work, and that would fit the modus operandi outlined by
the USPS: Fraud Alert - Counterfeit Money Orders

Just a heads up !
Old 01-30-2009, 11:41 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default Re: Possible Scam in the Classified Forum

Happened agin just this week.. I sent the info on to Frank W...

Probably the same guy he ended the request with "God Bless"

I told him to "**** of and God Bless" and received no answers back.

The thing that got me is I thought he got ahold of my private email.. I guess he didn't
Old 01-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Everybody has to be careful with any transaction and especially with an international sale. There are a bunch of people trying to steal your money or your gear.

It is best to just ignore any suspicious inquires and use Pay Pal. If you do agree to take a money order CASH it before you send your gear. I would never send any money over seas as part of a deal.

Most of these scams are very obvious. Keep in mind that NAFFF is not responsible for any transaction that takes place. Here is an excerpt from the Classified Rules. All sellers and buyers should read all of the rules.

Overall Rules and Policies for all categories
NAFFF does not guarantee the truthfulness or accuracy of the advertising placed on this site, and accepts no responsibility for claims of any kind resulting from the placement of such advertising. NAFFF assumes that all advertising is legal and is not misleading or untruthful. NAFFF is not responsible for any faulty goods or services advertised on this site, nor is it responsible for person-to-person communication. As with any transaction, BUYER and SELLER BEWARE.

Please be aware that there are scam artists out there who enjoy trying to take advantage of free services such as the one NAFFF offers here. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If somebody outside the country "accidentally" overpays and asks for a refund, this is a hallmark of a classic scam.

Frank
Old 02-02-2009, 09:14 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,
It would seem obvious to the average bear that these emails are scams,
but I just received another:

"Orvis BBS IV Brand New Made in England!

Am interested in buying your item as soon as possible you let me know the final asking price and the picture so that i can mailed out Money Order to you that can be cashed at your Bank or any cashing point around you because i will not able to come and view the item due to my Volunnteer relief mission.

Get back to me without any delay.

Regards.
Shannon."

The sender used a different email address this time, but the content is the
same. Fits the USPS's warning to a TEE!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Frank & everybody,

I would sell on eBay unless I had a deal with a known member here. On the bay there is at least some means of screening via the feedback profile on sellers and buyers. You can also get a good idea of what the market price for your item is by watching others like it as they sell.

That is how I handle the selling of tackle, hope this helps.

Ard