The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do you use a motorcycle?

That's a Memphis Shades Batwing?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:44 PM

loringj will become famous soon enoughloringj will become famous soon enough

Yes its a Memphis Shades Batwing. I got it painted to match the blue on the bike.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, it looks great on your bike. I work for the company that distributes them, along with lots of other cool stuff.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:33 PM

riderfisher is on a distinguished road

Resurrecting this old (but worthy!) thread, as I am seriously considering buying an adventure style bike for the purpose of fly fishing. Just don't think my Connie would agree with the WV/VA/TN/NC state and national forest fire roads- at least on a long term basis. I love this bike, and have many touring miles on her in the US and Canada, but am not going to subject her to this sort of abuse! I still want something with good power that I can take comfortably on the highway for several hours or a day to get to my destination (I'm in Columbus, Ohio unfortunately) yet will be competent on rutted dirt/rocky/gravelly roads and such. The thought of getting deep into the mountains for a few days to camp and fish has gotten my blood going. I'm scouting around for a used BMW GS or KTM 990 Adventure to fill this bill, and working on getting my kit sorted to go on a bike.

Anyone else still doing the same, or begun to since this thread was last active? New thoughts or ideas?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good bump, heck I forgot this one...................

I wanted the big fat BMW GS 1200 myself. The problem is that the bigger you go the harder they are to actually handle in an off road situation. Dirt roads, yes, but single tracks or stream crossings........... you better be really good and not as old as I am

The KLR was not cheap the way I lined it out but it works at around 7500 total in it. In order to make them more highway capable I added a tooth on the counter sproket. What a difference, still enough low end for trails and dropped my tach 1000 rpm at 65 mph Milage is right around 50 with the big panniers mounted. The panniers act like an air sail and cut my mpg by 4 over all. They are needed to carry gear and camp so you eat the mpg loss and still get 48 - 50 so it's all good from there.

To outfit a big one like you want, if new could run 22K or so. The used market is pretty full of GS bikes that are already set up with all the bells and ringers. Not many guys abuse their BMW's so they might be worth a look.

I used mine alot for the first year and will again, my German Shepherd can't go if I ride so now it doesn't see as many fishing trips as it used to.

Ard

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Might as well refresh the image, I have only 13 K on the odometer on it now.
Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 05-08-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:31 PM

Hey Ard, thanks for the reply.

My buddy at work had a KLR650, so am very familiar with that great bike and it's following! Problem was, when we rode he had a hard time keeping up with me on the highway- I am very used to cruising the slab at 80mph to get to the good stuff- and from where I am, it's minimum 5 hrs in any direction to the good stuff! So, am looking for late-model used (think 2008-2012) bikes of the ilk I mentioned for the hp and highway balls. Saw a new BMW F800GS at a dealer the other day that I liked, but still too much $$ for my budget. Also looked at a Triumph 800XC I liked, but the offroad reviews are not so good, and it would still be a stretch for my wallet. I may have to travel a bit to go get one, but I'm seeing some 3-4 yr old KTM 990's out there in my price range (<$10k), with boxes and other add-ons, that might work. But I'll have to keep my fingers crossed, for sure.

Steve
Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Steve,

The KTM are great bikes and the BMW 800 .......... well I wish I had one, that's what I think of them. You should tell your buddy to add a tooth on the counter shaft. Take it to a 16 on the front and the bike will cruise at 70 without being pushed too hard. Where do you live? I have no doubt that I would love a GS 1200 but we have about all the RV that we can handle. My wife has a KLR decked out just like mine, even better because hers has Progressive shocks front and rear. If I were in my 20's again I would spring for the Beamer.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 AM

Just updated my profile to include location, thanks for the reminder- I'm in wild and wonderful central Ohio, land of the cruisers and home of the bass fishermen! Actually, it's not so bad, but it is a bit of a drive to get to some decent woods/hills/streams. Got a trip to eastern WV (Monongahela NF) for 4 days of camping/fishing planned for Memorial Day weekend, really looking forward to that. Do I see that you are in Wasilla, AK? Really?? Bet you folks have had your fill of media publicity by now...
Old 06-28-2013, 04:10 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Finally getting back to track riding, been stupid busy with work and my buddy finally talked me into a trackday, hopefully will be back to racing next season..

I am the red guy, just put new suspension on and took the day trying to get it all dialed in.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:54 PM

Well, I did it- picked up a non-current model year (but still new on the floor) 2011 KTM 990 Adventure. Pic at the link below shows a German 2010, but that's the US 2011 model. Totally love this change of pace from my Connie; just put a nice rear rack on her and orange crash bars, got a used set of black aluminum panniers on the way from a fellow ADV'er to mount. Then it's time to load up the gear and do some backcountry camping and flyfishing!

KTM 990 Adventure Limited Edition 2010
pa dave likes this.