The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 01:11 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do you use a motorcycle?

Man I want an adventure bike. Will probably buy one after I decide what car I want to get haha
Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have looked at these back in 2005 when shopping, awesome bikes for sure. Although we usually need to ride a lot of hard top before reaching the forest service or BLM roads I'll advise that you be sure to mount a good universal tread to both wheels if it doesn't have them now. I tried a set of Avon Distanzia tread design back in 2008 and although they actually improved my mileage & ride they were pretty bad on dirt roads & single track riding. When riding in or after rain on dirt they were not good at all. For the asphalt they were great but then we buy these bikes for the outback not the highways.

Congratulations on your new bike, I love em.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-29-2013, 06:09 PM

riderfisher is on a distinguished road

Ard, thanks. Took her out for her first all day gravel road ride today with a small group of ADV'ers, and man am I impressed. Your point on tires is well taken, but there's no worries there, luckily, with the OEM Pirelli Scorpions. They worked great on everything from pavement to gravel to mud/sand- even had my first minor stream crossing, and first low log crossing, to boot! There's certainly not the highway protection I'm used to with the Concours, but I think if I fit a slightly larger windscreen that will go a long ways in improving coverage and reducing the buffeting at the helmet. For now, with the heat, the shorty is fine, so I'll explore that as the fall comes on. I'm really looking forward to taking her out with the rods and tackle to explore some harder to reach streams and rivers.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderfisher View Post
Well, I did it- picked up a non-current model year (but still new on the floor) 2011 KTM 990 Adventure. Pic at the link below shows a German 2010, but that's the US 2011 model. Totally love this change of pace from my Connie; just put a nice rear rack on her and orange crash bars, got a used set of black aluminum panniers on the way from a fellow ADV'er to mount. Then it's time to load up the gear and do some backcountry camping and flyfishing!

KTM 990 Adventure Limited Edition 2010
Great looking ride, congrats! You should have a blast getting out and exploring new water with that bike.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

You could always ride to Alaska next summer and fish here

Before you go into taller windscreens look at the Laminarlip products;
Laminar LLC - Products for Motorcycle Windshields and Fairings, Makers of the LIP & Touring LIP

I have a tall screen and I swear it's worse than the 4" stock as far as buffeting goes........... great for gravel and bugs but the turbulence is exhausting.

Just enter your bike make and check them out.

Ard

Old 06-30-2013, 10:46 AM

Thanks Mac, that is my whole intent!

Ard, good idea- I have used a 'Lip' on my Connie for years and loved it. I checked out what they have for the Adventure, and it's a pretty odd looking attachment- nothing quite like what I have on the Connie! Almost looks like a windshield on top of a windshield, so not sure I'm going to go there. But thanks for the reminder!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Air rumbling and buffeting around my helmet is my single complaint for the 7 years I've been driving my KLR. The only way to get rid of it is either take the windscreen off completely or figure out how to mount a Vetter Quicksilver fairing to the bike.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 PM

FishSlayer is on a distinguished road

While using my motorcycle to get back and forth to my bighorn sheep unit to scout, it occurred to me that I needed to start fly fishing again... So, I am dedicating this winter to gathering the gear required to do so. Here's my bike, loaded up with camping gear.
Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Administrator

That looks like a nice ride fish,

Ard
FishSlayer likes this.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishSlayer View Post
While using my motorcycle to get back and forth to my bighorn sheep unit to scout, it occurred to me that I needed to start fly fishing again... So, I am dedicating this winter to gathering the gear required to do so. Here's my bike, loaded up with camping gear.
Fishslayer, good looking ride- is that the DL1000 or the 650? Also, that looks like new rubber on the rear, which tire are you running? Also, I see you are an ADV'er- do you use the same screen name there?

Here's the evolution of my ride, at a stop in Taos, NM, on a 4000 miler this past Sept:
Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, pa dave and FishSlayer like this.