The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you use a motorcycle?

Ard

Yes I can believe that Alaska roads can be very tough on bikes. Changing out a set of steering bearings has got to fun. NOT!

Riding season is here (finally) in WY. I took the bike down to Loveland last Sunday with a friend from work. Stopped at a new BBQ place for lunch. Really enjoyed the wx except for the ride back over the mountain. The forecast was for 20-3o mph winds with gusts to 40, which made for a rough ride.

Larry
Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Larry,

The bearing job is done. I need to change from the road tread to the knobby tread now but I'm not up to it today. I run Michelin T66's for long distance road work like Kodiak. It racks up 12 - 1300 miles when I go over there for a couple weeks so I run street tires for the trip. Now I can't even get out of the driveway with them on.

I had it out of the garage to make sure the heated grips were working because I had to disconnect every thing when I pulled the front end. This KLR is loaded with lots of upgrades inside and out. I like to think that it will last awhile. I'm thinking of changing out the little fairing for a Euro style one that's a little wider and had dual lights. As you know protection from the weather up hear really matters. The new fairing isn't so much bigger that the bike becomes too wide for trails just a tad of plastic in the right spots will make a world of difference.

Here's some pictures of it with out the salmon carriers mounted. I use two 46 liter panniers and an igloo cooler strapped on that rear rack when making a meat run. The panniers for gear and the cooler for fish. It's an Ak. thing I guess. I never thought to strap a cooler to any of my other bikes when I lived down south.

Attachment 1957 Click the thumbnail's for enlargement;

Attachment 1958

Attachment 1959

Attachment 1960
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike 10001.jpg (81.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Bike 20001.jpg (86.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Bike 30001.jpg (64.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Bike 40001.jpg (71.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard

Nice looking ride! Yes I can see that your idea of swapping for a larger fairing would help. The salmon carriers look like a great way to haul fish!

Looks like winter up there with all the snow. Our snow has all melted a couple weeks ago, it is supposed to be 59 degrees here today and 74 degrees in the Ft Collins area. Spring is here!

Larry
Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Larry,

I'll post another picture with the trail tread and the panniers mounted after the weekend. I'm going to do the tire thing tomorrow then take a ride. We are experiencing toasty warm weather here also. With daily highs nearing or passing +32* it's time to get out there.

Until I change the tread I can't get up the slope of our driveway so I'm trapped.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

From what I see on the photos, you installed an aftermarket skid plate. Did you keep the stock muffler? I haven't purchased a bike yet and I'm already looking for aftermarket stuff. I found a folding gear pedal that is interesting. One thing I would like to add are auxiliary driving lights like I've seen on some bmw's.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Glass,

Yes The skid plate is an add on as are many other things on the bike. I kept the stock exhaust system. When it wears out I'll buy something lighter n weight but for now it seems to be doing the job well enough. If you put as many modifications on a KLR as I have you darn near have a BMW but these have a bit more ground clearance unless you get an older Dakar model.

If you are going to buy a KLR get in touch with me and I'll tell you what works and what serves to raise your zoot factor but you can live without .

Ard
Old 03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator

You'll get the impression that I'm ready for spring here in AK. by all the pictures of my two wheeler I'm posting. I just slapped new tread on it and took them for a 52 mile ride.

I had been running Michelin T66 street tread and had to return to a more aggressive tread pattern for conditions here. The new pictures are of the bike with the gear carriers mounted.

Picture this with a 40 quart igloo cooler strapped on the rear rack for food on the way out and fish on the way home and you'll have the idea.

Attachment 2019Click to enlarge;

Attachment 2020 Larry, this gives you an idea of the size of the side cases.

Attachment 2021Much better tread, I couldn't get out of the driveway with the others.

Attachment 2022The basic full dress trail bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike #10001.jpg (82.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Bike #20001.jpg (88.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Bike #30001.jpg (76.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Bike #40001.jpg (82.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-05-2009, 01:27 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Click the image to open in full size.

this is my wife on her 2007 honda shadow classic. i ride it on days that she doesn't. but it's her commute most of the time.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 04-05-2009, 01:30 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Click the image to open in full size.

here's a shot of just the bike. i bought it for her for xmas for about 1/2 of what it was worth.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Nice,

Now you need to plan a fishing trip from the two wheelers. Do you have two of them?