The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 12:24 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do you use a motorcycle?

not right now. we only have the one. but we plan to get a 2nd bike next year. "good lord willin' and the creek don't rise."
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 PM

atlaw will become famous soon enoughatlaw will become famous soon enough

Guess I'm the only Brit guy here. '74 Norton and '78 Bonny. I have carried just about everything on the Bonny but the Norton is just too much fun to add anything but me. I occasionally have HD's, last one was a '77 XLCR
Old 04-19-2009, 03:56 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

Well, after searching for quite a while, I found a used Kawi in excellent shape I was able to deal a good price with the owner. It's a '98 with 30k kilometers (18K miles). It has the higher windshield, electric hand warmer and tail bag. It will need new tires eventually. I should be able to set it up for fishing this week. And just in time, trout season opens next friday.

Marc
Old 04-19-2009, 03:57 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

Oh, and it's a KLR 650.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: I forgot to ask the other day about the heated hand grips on your KLR, how long do they last? On the H-D bikes I have never had a set of heated handgrips last more than a year and a half. When they start failing they don't just quit all together but rather they quit putting out enough heat to keep your hands warm, you can still feel some heat but not enough for those high mountain passes, especially in the spring. One year we had gone down to the San Juan for some fishing on the bikes and on the way home stopped at Pagosa Springs, CO following fishing. The next morning we got up early for the trip home as it was around 450 miles and when we got out to the bikes the seats had ice on them, I think the temp was around 25 degrees. Crossing over Wolf Creek pass it was really cold, we ended up stopping three times to warm our hands on the engines, but once we dropped down the other side of the mountain it was fine sailing the rest of the way home.

Larry
Old 04-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good for you Glassrodder, Larry, my grips are into their third season and still cooking. I hope I got the kind that don't wear out quickly.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Maybe it is a better quality or your just living a blessed life! Between the wife and I we have gone through 5 sets of heated grips. Spring riding over the mountain passes can sure be wonderful when the heated grips are working correctly.

Larry
Old 04-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Larry,

We took that ride to Talkeetna, with the hand guards neither of us used the heaters. We did hit a bit of freezing rain between Willow Creek & Montana Creek. Things were knida dead in Talkeetna (no tourists) so we had a cup of coffee and headed back to Wasilla. It's probably been awhile since you've seen the Talkeetna Range so we stopped at the over look and took a few pictures. I wish I had done a better job on the train, you don't see them down there either.
Attachment 2124

Attachment 2126
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nancy & Talkeetna Mtns.0001.jpg (91.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Ak. Railroad0001.jpg (94.6 KB, 34 views)

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Ard: Great looking photos, thanks for sharing! Sounds like you had a good time on the ride up to Talkeetna.

Snowed here again last night, but it melts off pretty fast once the sun comes out, but sure makes you wonder if spring is ever going to get here.

Larry
Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Here are some photos of my recent road trip to Lander, WY and Swan Valley, ID:
Stopped at the top of South Pass just south of Lander, WY, note the fishing rod tied to my baggage.
Click the image to open in full size.

We stayed at the Sleepy J Cabins in Swan Valley, ID

Rest stop at the Wind River Canyon, WY just south of Thermopolis, WY

Larry
Hardyreels likes this.