The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Do you use a motorcycle?

I use this often. The panniers / side cases will carry all my gear and I strap a cooler on the luggage rack for fish. It is not as comfortable as the Silverado club cab truck and getting yourself ready to fish isn't as easy without the tailgate but it gets 51 mpg and sometimes that can be a deal maker.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 05-08-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you use a motorcycle?

Ard

Cool looking bike is it a dual sport bike?

I have a Harley Road King Custom that I split my fishing time and riding time in the summer months. I've only used it for fishing a few times, but actually I was on a road trip and spotted a stream I wanted to fish.

Larry
Old 02-22-2009, 11:34 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Yup...

ST1300 and a 1050 Sprint ST (and a Suzi JR50 for my little one)... best riding roads in New England run along rivers, it's a match made in heaven! I'm eying a XT250 to take it off the road and get to some back country ponds, but with the 'real' job gone for over a year now, it maybe a while before I put a 4th bike in the stable.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

That looks like a KLR650. I used to ride a 1982 Honda XL350R. I used it to rip along forest access roads on my to fish. My ex-wife had me sell it.

I started looking for another bike last year. The BMW 650 dual purpose is very tempting. I even went out to check those russian bikes (Ural 750) with the sidecar and 2 wheel drive. The 60 mph top end turned me off though.
Maybe this year is the year I'll get to ride.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I've been away for awhile,

Yep it's a KLR with a 2" lift kit for ground clearance. It has lots of other stuff retrofitted to it also. I have went back to a more aggressive set of tires because the ones in the picture **** out in the mud.

I have used this to haul a full set of camp and fishing gear to Kodiak and brought home 46 pounds of fish in a cooler strapped to the back rack to boot. I like it, it gets 46 / 47 mpg with the big wide panniers mounted and 52 without, air resistance ya know.

I'll post a better picture this spring.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:42 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

The KLRs are bulletproof. I called a few area dealers and all seem willing to deal on leftover '08s. I guess business is slow. I'll wait until my gf gets back from Quebec City to haul her down there and go for a test ride. From what I found, the bike hasn't changed much in years. Then I'll go over to BMW to look them over. But with their fuel injection, maintenance would surely be more complicated. The simpler the better.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I had a custom Sportster and Hubby had an FLH with a small trailer we use to take camping all the time and trips to the lakes. I rode the Sporty everywhere, but when I say custom, I mean it had Ape hangers, split 3 gallon tank, Arlen Ness rear fender, dresser front fender, leather saddlebags, solo seat and sat much lower to the ground. It looked allot like a 45.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator

That sporty sounds nice, the KLR's are just good beaters. Kinda like an old CJ5, they get decent mileage and will do better than the average speed limit when needed. I use a 16 T counter sprocket and a 43 rear and the thing will cruise at 70 while hardly working. That gear combo still allows for serious off road use if you're good with the clutch.

Get this, I have already hauled home a 29 lb. King Salmon in the right side pannier! With the tail sticking up and me in my waders I was quite a novelty when I came through Anchorage especially at red lights.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard

That was a good visual image, LOL!
Only in Alaska!

Larry
Old 03-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Hey,

I just finished putting my KLR back together after replacing the bearings and races in the steering tube. What a job. Maybe it's the Alaska roads but I've never had a set of steering head bearings go bad on me. This set did!

Now I have to change the tires to a set of Mefo Explorers for the mud. That'll be a good time. I do all my own wrench work on the bikes when not tying flies. My wife has one (KLR) also so I stay busy in the garage getting ready for spring.

We're taking them up the Denali Highway this year for some Grayling and trout fishing so I have to have them ready. Alaska is hard on the equipment.