The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's a Done Deal!

I'm proud of all of you that have/ or are in the process of quitting. I've tried smoking when I was younger but never picked it up as a habit, now packing my lip...well that was a whole different animal for me. lol I still get the urge, and will occasionally have a dip but have not bought a can in quite some time. An ice cold beer and a big ol dip of Hagen used to really hit the spot when coming off the water.

Joni, I hear that food ends up tasting pretty good after a while too.

Good Job everyone!!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-01-2009, 09:44 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Way to go, Joni! That's great!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Here's another incentive.
At $5.86 a pack and 1 pack a day you will save $2133.04 a year by not smoking.
That my friends is alot of gas money for fishing trips.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
That my friends is alot of gas money for fishing trips.
The old man is already promising me a Hardy reel. He got his pontoon when he quit many years ago.
Good, bad or what ever, I did use Chantix the first three days. Monday 5 smokes, Tuesday 4 smokes, Wednesday that was it...I was done. I then stopped using the Chantix Thursday...so I have been on my own since then. Chantix triggers the Nicotine craving portion of your brain to not need it, plus it is kind of a relaxer.
I know it is just as hard on your body to go cold turkey cause it is an addiction, but Chantix is suppose to help you step down and in the mean time, you really don't want one.
Just worked supper fast on me but I think I had the drive going.
Play the bar this weekend and this will be the first time I have EVER done it without smoking...but the bar is smoke free so that will be a plus. I just won't be going out to the patio.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:43 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

A tip of the mojo magic fly fishing hat to you!! Incredibly proud of you!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations ..... You have taken the single best step you possibly could to stay healthy.......I had quit for 10 yrs. & one spring in Maine the blackflies were so bad that I bummed a cigar from a buddy.. That's all it took to start again. It just came naturally to start again. Just watch the backsliding. I justified it with the Blackflies but I guess I could have found another excuse eventually......I finally guit for good last Oct. when I had a mortality ck. & I will never use tobacco again....
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 PM

mikeo will become famous soon enough

Congrats Joni -- my hope is to quit completely this year too -- but I'll still have the occasional pipe on the river for a little while yet -- oh yeah, because the bugs are bad in early spring AND I hate to use bug repellant LOL LOL -- seriously best of luck and thanks for sharing -- it may inspire others (even me)
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Smoking is a deadly habit. I have lost one brother-in-law to smoking related cancer and will lose another this year. My son is a serious smoker and over weight. It is a terrible thought than I may have to bury a second son sometime in my future. That is not something a parent should ever have to do. So all you smokers out there, NOW is the time to quit. Do it for your loved ones if you can't do it for yourself.

Frank
Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

Smoking is a deadly habit. I have lost one brother-in-law to smoking related cancer and will lose another this year. My son is a serious smoker and over weight. It is a terrible thought than I may have to bury a second son sometime in my future. That is not something a parent should ever have to do. So all you smokers out there, NOW is the time to quit. Do it for your loved ones if you can't do it for yourself.

Frank
We're all pulling for you Joni. I lost my Mom in January to the nasty habit. She did not have your resolve and smoked until the day she couldn't physically do it any longer. It was hard to watch her remove her oxygen on the hour so that she could have a quick cigarette.

Hang in there kid. It's worth it.

Sep
Old 04-02-2009, 02:21 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

So, I guess I don't have to worry about you bummin' a smoke off of me this summer!

Actually, I've cut down so much I should just lay them down for good. I will.
When I do go a few days without one I have to say, everyone says how things small and taste better. To be blunt, the only difference I can tell thus far is that I can smell my own urine!

Still, I'll suffer that to breathe easier and hopefully live a bit longer!

Good on ya for kicking those things!