The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default So I'm standing on the deck and.............

Couple of evenings ago I was standing on the back deck after raking the yard and here come these two moose; a mother & son team that I thought were going to come up onto the deck with me. The photos could be allot better but I was busy chasing them away from the lilacs and the rhubarb and didn't bother to check exposure settings. All photos were taken with a 50mm lens, no zoom was needed.

Attachment 2220

Attachment 2221

Attachment 2222

Attachment 2223

After I got them to reconsider eating our back yard they made their way up to the site of the winter wood pile and ate the browse.

Attachment 2224
Attached Images
File Type: jpg By the feeder0001.jpg (96.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Cow0001.jpg (96.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Yearling #20001.jpg (96.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Hi there0001.jpg (97.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Both #20001.jpg (100.9 KB, 60 views)

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-06-2009, 12:21 PM

Shake is on a distinguished road
Default Re: So I'm standing on the deck and.............

I hate meeses to pieces. Several years ago I was walking the dog and ended up suprising a momma moose and calf at the end of the driveway. Well they ran off into the woods and I thought all was good. Chalk it up to poor timing, but a large RV went down the street and spooked the moose back my direction. I take off running for the garage and somehow end up getting the dog leash wrapped around my ankles. I crash and burn on the black top and the moose decides that I must be the most pathetic creature on the face of the earth and decides to let me live. The next morning I couldn't walk so I made my wife take me to the ER. Found out that I had tore several tendons in my knee, and I had to get a tetnus shot for all the road rash.
I really hate moose.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Hardy,
At least you had presence of mind to grab the camera!! Really kewl!
Old 05-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Cool it is, they show up here often because we have several acres of quiet space for them to kick back on. Shake, don't hold your misfortune against the moose, unlike people moose have no propensity for evil behaviour. They appear to be fairly simple and mostly docile creatures and I encounter a bunch of them. Heck, I must keep a vigilant eye for brown bear almost everywhere that I fish and I don't hate brown bears, respect them and have went to great effort to learn as much about their habits and feeding practices as possible yes. For the large part of my bush travels my German shepherd Boss keeps me advised of both bear & moose activity in our area and I keep an armed camp as a fail-safe.
Attachment 2225
Around the home I do not promote barking at the moose and the dog seems to understand the difference between home and the bush.

Ard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me & Boss0001.jpg (60.7 KB, 53 views)

Old 05-07-2009, 08:33 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Ard,
What with moose news, I thought maybe you could verify these pics as either true or false. They were sent by my husbands old boss, but I've never seen an albino moose before. I'm old, and skeptical of everything any more!!

Attachment 2227

Attachment 2228

Attachment 2229
Attached Images
File Type: jpg get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg (20.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg get-attachment-2.aspx.jpg (20.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg get-attachment.aspx.jpg (19.8 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Auntie,

Looks real to me.

Ard

Old 05-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Ard,
What with moose news, I thought maybe you could verify these pics as either true or false. They were sent by my husbands old boss, but I've never seen an albino moose before. I'm old, and skeptical of everything any more!!
Quote:
Origins: Tracking down the origins of these photographs of a pair of "albino moose" along a highway has not been a straightforward task, because these critters are apparently wide-roaming moose: differing versions of the accompanying text have placed them all across North America, from British Columbia to the Maritime provinces in Canada, and from Michigan to Maine in the United States. As best we can ascertain, the pictures date from mid-2006 and were snapped in either Newfoundland or New Brunswick.

We've listed this item as "Partly true" because although the photographs may be genuine, the animals pictured are likely not true albinos but rather white-colored (or "white-haired") moose, an unusual genetic variation of the species that has been spotted in several states and provinces:

In general, moose have brown coats of hair. In some rare cases, the colour of moose coats can range from predominantly white to a mixture of white and brown. White-coloured moose are not a separate species, but are examples of a rare colour phase that can occur naturally in wild moose populations.
snopes.com: Albino Moose

Those pictures of the moose you posted are all over the internet.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Administrator

I guess I would have said more but I was short on time. I did not bother to research the pictures but it seems that the moose have dark eyes. Albinism is most definitely recognized by the lack of pigmentation in the eye itself. With a color variance the coat may be white but that alone would not mean that the animal is actually an albino. The combination of white coat and pink or non pigmented eyes would be more likely a true case of albinism.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:29 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

Great photos! I guess you get a lot of these wildlife incidents up there. And a dog would be a good alarm and prevention for wildlife close encounters. My girlfriend is also into GSDs in a big way. She lost hers 2 years ago and got a young female last winter. She does have behaviour issues we are working on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1659.jpg (36.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Glass,

Beautiful dog, yeah I love my boy. They are really smart dogs and make great fishing pals.

Ard