The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 04:24 PM

skins2215 is on a distinguished road
Post Simple Knot Question

In my intro I stated I was the novice for all novices. I will now prove my point.

I'm practicing my knot tying and i'm working on tying the fly on with the improved clinch knott. I get the twist, and through the space between the fly and the line. What i don't get is how to go back through the loop you've created with out losing the set up you've made. I can't do it consistently and at times i'll lose my way and have to start over. I'm hoping there is a simple trick that i'm just missing. I could just need to practice too. At any rate, thanks for the help!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Simple Knot Question

I usually don't do the improved clinch. You might try doing a Uni-knot, it's way easier and the loop is adjustable, unlike the clinch knot.

I do use the clinch knot alot, but usually I use forceps to make it. Definately quicker.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 PM

skins2215 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Axle...i'll give it a shot!!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

skins2215: Here is an animation of tying the improved clinch knot, which might help if your still struggling.

The Improved Clinch Knot

I recently changed over to using the Davy knot as I can tie it much faster than the improved clinch knot. Here is a link showing how it is tied.
Tying the Davy Knot

Larry
Old 06-03-2009, 06:48 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

The way I do it to put the tag end through the loop you made and grasp it in my teeth, then put the knot inside my lips to moisten the line. Then while holding the tag end in my teeth I pull the fly and the line tightening the knot. Not sure if you can follow that. It's the way my Dad taught me at the age of 10 and I've been doing it ever since. It gets quicker and easier in time.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-03-2009, 11:53 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
skins2215: . . . I recently changed over to using the Davy knot as I can tie it much faster than the improved clinch knot. Here is a link showing how it is tied.
Tying the Davy Knot
If you're like me and need to see a picture of a knot being tied (even one as simple as the Davy Knot), you can find it under the first "Sticky" post under the Fishing Techniques FAQ section of the Frequently Asked Questions topic of the forum.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

I used to use a fishermans knot, it was easy to tie and strong. i just switched to the improved clinch, and it was a bit difficult to tie. I found that keeping my finger in the upper loop, it made it easier to bring the tag end through after going through the bottom loop.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi skins2215,

Tying knots is all about technique. Each person has to work out what is best for them. I have found that you have to use both hands together to tie knots. Even when I thread a tippet through the eye of the hook I use both hands together. It is not just holding the knot with both hands but using both hands to hold the knot as you progress with tying it. I can't post pictures but I have some already posted that may help.

The following doesn't help you tie an Improved Clinch Knot but I wanted to illustrate that you need to work your two hands together. Here are some photos that shows how I hold the tippets when fastening two loops together. Notice how I use both hands to support each other.

Click the image to open in full size.

This picture shows the first step placing one loop over the other. Nothing fancy here.

This picture shows how I grip the two loops with my off hand to hold every thing in place while I do the next step. I am in complete control and ready to do the next step. This griping the knot as you proceed is a key in tying knots and will help you with your Improved Clinch Knot.

My left hand is holding the knot together and with my free hand I pick up the end of the line and insert it into the loop.

Now you can see it all coming together. The left hand has the two loops locked together. You see I have the tag end of the line I want to fish through the loop held between two lower fingers. Then I am picking it up with the fore finger and thumb of my right hand and pulling it through the loop.

I hope you can see I have developed a method to hold the parts of the knot as I progress with the tying. Everything is under control. You can do this same thing with your Improved Clinch Knot. Hold things in place with your left hand and do the tying with the right.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Frank