The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 10:58 PM

NorthStar is on a distinguished road
Default Dropped my rod in the water!! :(

First time out with my new rod today and was going across a bay in our lake in a kayak. I must have hit a big wave or knocked it out with my paddle but I had it sitting in a rod holder behind my right shoulder and next thing I knew it was sinking fast to the bottom. By the time I was able to turn the kayak around my Temple Fork Outfitters 9' 8 weight rod with a G Loomis Venture 7 reel, some Orvis Gel Spun backing, 444 floating line, steel leader (I was hoping to go muskie fishing in the shallows) and the fly that I had purchased at a neat little fly shop in Tampa, Florida were sinking out of sight into 30 feet of water. An absolute sinking feeling if you know what I mean. Tomorrow I'm headed off to Fleet Farm to buy some supplies to make a sort of jig that I can drag along the lake bed with and hopefully snag the rod with. I don't have much hope of finding it though. I just can't believe my stupidity in all of this, I should have had the rod lashed down so it couldn't move or something like that. The worst part is I never even got to try it out, I bought it a few months back when a local sporting goods store went out of business and was blowing out their inventory and now it is at the bottom of the lake. Here's to hoping the fishing god's see it as one heck of an offering and are kind the next time (first time) the monster muskie sees my fly in the water.

Rant over.

Thanks for listening guys,

Nick
Old 05-25-2009, 10:00 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Dropped my rod in the water!! :(

That sucks, good luck.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:48 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

That is a heart breaker.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 AM

rag will become famous soon enough

Can you contact a local scuba club for some help?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag View Post
Can you contact a local scuba club for some help?
After dragging the bottom yesterday with a couple massive treble hooks and the heaviest slip sinkers I could find at Fleet Farm to no avail I decided going the Scuba route would be the best bet. I am PADI certified which will allow me to rent the gear the tough part now is finding it on the weedy bottom. Friday morning however I'll be descending into the icy lake in search of my lost rod.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 AM

rag will become famous soon enough

Good luck, and be safe.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 AM

doc will become famous soon enough

I know that sinking feeling all to well. Two years ago, my sage RPL fell out of it's rod holder on my pontoon boat. I watched it sink in 20ft of water on Muir Lake. I quickly grabbed my other rod equipped with full sink line and a woolly bugger and man was I relieved when I actually hooked into it and pulled it up. You can never forget that "sinking feeling" though. Good luck, I hope you find it.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 06-01-2009, 06:03 PM

Well... I bought an underwater camera that I plan on returning later this week and after a few hours of searching for the rod last weekend and seeing it three or four times but not being able to snag it my dad and I went out early early Sunday morning when the water was clear and calm. After a couple more hours of frustrating searching I saw it again on the bottom and miraculously snagged it. This time it was about fifty feet from where we last saw it so either someone snagged it and brought it closer to shore or something else got a hold of it. The rod was pretty dirty and full of algae and the reel was even dirtier but after a bath in fresh water, a toothbrush and some vaseline it was as good as new. Now, maybe I can finally catch some fish with it.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:23 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

Congrats on finding that rod! Funny as it may sound, that experience has probably endeared you to that rod more than had you not lost it.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Very cool that you were able to retrieve your rod and reel, that definitely had to be a sinking feeling when you discovered it sinking into the depths. At least your story had a happy ending, A week or so ago, I heard on the Denver news where a guy jumped overboard to retrieve is fishing pole and ended up drowning. Just be careful out there.

Larry