The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 01:17 PM

ben52 is on a distinguished road
Default New to the area...

Hello,

I recently moved to Memphis form the north, and am looking for some places to fish. I need somewhere I can wade as I don't have a boat, and am willing to drive up to 3ish hours, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ben
Old 10-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: New to the area...

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

If I was in Memphis I would be fishing in Northern Arkansas. There is a lot of Trout fishing and some big fish. There is some good Bass fishing in Tennessee and Mississippi. Do a search on Fly Shops in Memphis and you will get two or three hits. They would be your best source.

Have you be fly fishing long? Do you tye flies?

Frank
Old 10-29-2009, 07:26 PM

ben52 is on a distinguished road

Frank,

I have been fly fishing on and off for 9 or 10 years, however I haven't fished at all in the last 2 years do to a new job. No, I haven't tryed tying my own yet....
Old 10-30-2009, 07:38 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

FRANK<<<<< Dont be sending folks to my honey holes,,,, HAHA Just kidding.
Ben there is some great fly fishing here in Arkansas, the little red river, is GREAT as well as the white and the norfolk, and the spring. Right now there has been tons of rain so the rivers have been ate up a little, and they have been generating alot and will for awhile. The Buffalo is pretty good for smallmouth and sunfish.
Bear
Old 10-31-2009, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bear,

I had you in mind when I suggested Arkansas. I sure am glad to see you posting again, we missed you. Are you still guiding?

Frank
Old 10-31-2009, 08:40 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Bear,

I had you in mind when I suggested Arkansas. I sure am glad to see you posting again, we missed you. Are you still guiding?

Frank
Hi Frank,
Thanks, I missed being around. I am still guideing some on the lake, fishing has been pretty good, though we did get a ton of rain lately and the lake is 15 foot above norm. pool. The good thing about all the rain it will be harder for the "spawn rapers" to molest the brown trout a bunch this year so they ought to have a good spawn.
Take care
Bear