The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 11:06 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default LMF river

Went down on tuesday so it wasn't very crowded. I don't go very often because it's over a 3 1/2 hour drive. We had a good day catching fish on dries, nymphs, buggers and wet flies. I caught most of my fish on a nymph and indicator. Got to see a BWO hatch and so did the trout. It was neat to see the BWO's just appear but even cooler to see the trout nailing them. I caught a couple on dries when the hatch was on but didn't have a dry that was exact color, so I just picked the closest and got some action. Biggest fish was 15". Heres a pic of a rainbow I caught on an olive flashback bugger. Nice and distinct black spots.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMF river

jcw355: Congrats, looks like you had a good outing on the water! Good looking trout!

Larry
Old 02-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sounds like a good trip to me.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-06-2010, 09:58 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a blast... I'd love to get some fishing action, but unfortunately today was 34 degrees with heavy rain and some snow... (read: I'm jealous!)
Old 04-08-2010, 07:54 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I went down on tuesday morning, fished 11 hours and stayed the night. Fished wednesday for about 6 hour before driving 3 1/2 hours home. It was the best fishing I've had in my almost year of fly fishing. March brown dry fly caught me many many fish. Caught several also on a micro jig and indicator set up in the rougher water of spillway creek. I would fish dawn to dusk everyday but wouldn't make any money and have a job.
The below picture is where the march dries did the job

The third white water up on the below picture, I had a nice one break my 6x tippet. I was afraid to let him run because he was right there by the edge of the really fast current. I had him for about 10 seconds and then he broke off.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

jcw355: Very nice photos and trip report, congrats! That is a great looking river.

Larry
Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 AM

ozarkadver is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=jcw355;81359]Went down on tuesday so it wasn't very crowded. I don't go very often because it's over a 3 1/2 hour drive. We had a good day catching fish on dries, nymphs, buggers and wet flies. I caught most of my fish on a nymph and indicator. Got to see a BWO hatch and so did the trout. It was neat to see the BWO's just appear but even cooler to see the trout nailing them. I caught a couple on dries when the hatch was on but didn't have a dry that was exact color, so I just picked the closest and got some action. Biggest fish was 15". Heres a pic of a rainbow I caught on an olive flashback bugger. Nice and distinct black spots.
Click the image to open in full size.[/QUOTE

jcw where is the LMF river?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jcw355,

That doesn't look like water that I would be using a 6X tippet. I would feel better with a 4X.

Frank
Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 PM

LMF is below Broken Bow Lake in Oklahoma. I use 5x tippet too. I need to get some more. I recently was using 8x on the Elk river in West Virginia with size 32 spinners. WAS NOT use to that really light stuff and broke off a couple of times. I use a 3wt rod so I use 5 and 6x tippet a lot.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 PM

trick has a spectacular aura abouttrick has a spectacular aura about

I've been reading up on what all I can find on the LMF. I understand there's a 3.8 miles section thats off limits to boats. If you don't mind me asking, Is this the area your fishing? Any idea how the fishing is this time of year? Thanks for any info.

Matt Smith