The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 12:15 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Houston

Folks, Are there any rivers / lakes to fish for trout around Houston, Texas? I understand that the weather during the summer will be too warm for trout.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:13 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston

Sorry Eddie, you are out of luck. Probably the closest for you would be the Mountain Fork river in Southeast Oklahoma near Broken Bow. 5 hour drive, unless of course you wanted to fish for Speckled Trout in the bay.

Just a outside guess, but do you work in the petroleum industry.

Dave
Old 04-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the response, good guess my wife has a major customer in that industry. we may be spending six months or so there.
Bummer about the trout Looks like I might be doing a lot of driving
Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
Thanks for the response, good guess my wife has a major customer in that industry. we may be spending six months or so there.
Bummer about the trout Looks like I might be doing a lot of driving
If you are going to be here that long then you might consider driving up to Northern Arkansas (where I live) and fish the White River. Very good fishing for browns, rainbows and some brooks. At most a 8 hour (but easy) drive. Am planning my first fly trip up there (I fish the Little Red 5 min away) in a few weeks and working on another with a fellow forum member. So if you make it up there this summer we can give you some tips on the river.

For some reason we seem to get a lot of Scotts teaching a variety of oilfield related classes (been to several).

PM me if you want to work on a trip together.

Dave
Old 04-16-2011, 04:09 AM

Dave, thanks very much for the offer. If we do get over there I'll get in touch

Best Regards
Eddie
Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

hey eddie, i grew up in houston. you should try some salt water fishing, even if its not fly fishing. you can go out to the south jettie, the ferry, any of the rock groins along galveston theres tons of peirs from texas city dike out to sea brook you can fish that is fun. hell even go surf fishing that is tons of fun. catching red fish or speck trout is so much fun! may is prime time for it too. if your there when i take a trip home ill be more than willing to take you out on our boat into the bay. my dads property is right on the water so every day when i lived there id go out and catch myself a redfish or two, they put up such a good fight, nice strong livley fish.

this is the forum that i always talk on when im fishing there, these guys are good guys. i bet lots of them will take you out on their boat too for some gas money, and a bunch even need people to go offshore with.

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/

and if you wanna use artificial instead of live bait, remember.... red and white. thats the go to color in the area. pm me if you want some spots, info about the bay, or info on fishing the area
Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

There are stocked trout 3 hrs away in the Guadalupe tailrace, but with how this summer's playing out (major drought), they may be dead by July 4th. For both the Guadalupe and other rivers in the area, this is a great guide- fly fishing texas guadalupe trout guide trip river

From Houston, Saltwater is where its at. This guy guides out of Port O'Connor and can put you into redfish, and possibly even tarpon at the right time of year- Texas Flats Fly Fishing - Texas Light Tackle Fishing with Captain Eric Knipling | www.texasflatsflyfishing.com

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:38 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Like BigCliff said. Hurry. Even aside from the drought, late this month the "tuber" season commences, which makes fly-fishing tough if you have any sort of temper. Don't know exactly what your six-month stay here will be, but the Guad season really starts in late November and starts petering out in late April most years. The river is stocked not only by Texas State Wildlife, but more importantly by the Guadalupe Chapter of Trout Unlimited (GRTU), who stock some major-sized trout and generally take care of this tailwater. Most years there is substantial carry-over of trout, thanks to a water release agreement that the GRTU negotiated with the various Federal and State agencies having jurisdiction, but as BigCliff said, the 100-year drought we're beginning to look at this year will probably severely impact the Guad this summer. Nevertheless, it's worth looking into, as there is no other trout water remotely close to Houston. Regardless of how severe the summer turns out to be, there will be substantial re-stocking in the late fall.

The GRTU's forum is www.grtu.org • Index page , in case you're interested. Note that the Chapter has a separate "lease" section for an optional membership that includes access to a dozen or so special access points that GRTU leases each fall.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 AM

Guys, thanks for the additional information. If the trip is on it will be later in the year. Sounds like salt water fly fishing is the way to go.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:08 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
Guys, thanks for the additional information. If the trip is on it will be later in the year. Sounds like salt water fly fishing is the way to go.
Well, like I said, if "later in the year" is late fall, then the Guadalupe (2 1/2 hours from Houston) will be your trout ticket.