The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about
Default Lower Mountain Fork

I'm headed there the week after next, taking my nephew for his first time fly fishing. Does anyone have any fly suggestions for the summer? Any spots to target or stay away from?

I'm guessing with summer, the lower part (Zone 2 and 3) will have canoe and swimming traffic. But does anyone who's fished there in the summer have any suggestions or tips.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:58 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Lower Mountain Fork

Fly fishing can be tough at times and then it can be really good. I use a small white jig I tie for starters and if it catches fish I keep using it. I was turning over rocks last sunday and found some mayfly nymphs that looked about a size 16. You could stop in at Beaversbend flyshop and see Sid for some fly advice or Go to Three rivers fly shop on Highway 259. Pheasanttail nymphs, midges are a few I would try. Most fish will be taken fishing subsurface. I think blue wing olives and sulfur mayflys are year around on LMF, also try googling "hatch charts", "LMF hatch charts", I've seen some but can't recall where right now.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:39 AM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

If you drive on past Sid's store on the left, go on to the "Evening hole" area. I usually fish it in early spring as it gets a little crowded in summer, but it might be a good place to start. I usually had good luck with nymphs, pheasant tail, bird's nest, BWO's, and prince. Stop in at Sid's, he'll tell you what's working.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:03 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

During the summer it is tough to fish there, especially during the summer vacation time. There have been some people who ignore the restrictions about fishing. Nevertheless, the place gives you an ample opportunity to fish. I recommend the spill way section though I cation you that you have to be very careful. The surfaces of rocks up there are extremely slippery. I had a couple of bear plunge under my belt already. After those misfortunes, I bought a staff when I fish the spill way area.

In the spill way, I would suggest that you use nymphing method. Y2k and other egg pattern work. I sometimes tried a tandem rig where I tied two flies, usually size 14 followed by 18. I was surprised that when fishing is slow trouts are hitting smaller size flies such as zibra midge or Rim Ching's rs2.
The most important advise that I got from many seasoned pros up there is that the way present your flies in nymphing determines the success of fishing. My take is that if you do not let your flies down to the bottom and do not lose your flies occasionally, your presentation is poor. The other day I was watching one guy struggling, and I suggest him to use a split shot and he began to catch some fish. So go figure.

Another fly that I would recommend is woolly bugger. About three weeks ago, when fishing was slow I cast black woolly buggers down stream and strip the line and caught several fish (some of them were brown). When I tied woolly, I add more shining stuffs.

Finally, even if you do not catch any fish up there, the place is just gorgeous. So enjoy it.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:00 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies. I've fished from the spillway down to the Evening Hole before, but never lower than that. I would imagine Zone 3 and maybe even Zone 2 will be too full of vacationers.

So far I have plenty of all the flies mentioned, except that jig. And I'll check with Sid.

Texas, my experience was it worked best fishing on the bottom - not close, not almost, but on the bottom. Like you said, if I wasn't losing flies or getting hung up, I wasn't low enough. And that worked. I use tungsten beads on all my zebra nymphs, and I typically fish a two-fly rig with a zebra as the lower fly.

I'll call Sid this next week, but it sounds like the flies are about the same as other parts of the year.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:41 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

I doubt that any fly shops carry the jig flies. It is very simple, so you can just tie bunch of them.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:27 PM

planosooner is on a distinguished road

pheasant tails
midges
hairs ears(olive)
little brassies
#20 or so. I have never had to go smaller. But there are times you need #22 ish according to locals.

Other Terrestrials.... There are few hoppers. Plenty of crayfish<= (hint hint)

Wooly buggers work well..... In olive.... DUH. But I wouldn't be afraid to take a whole box a little more brown(what i have seen in the creek).
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by planosooner View Post
pheasant tails
midges
hairs ears(olive)
little brassies
#20 or so. I have never had to go smaller. But there are times you need #22 ish according to locals.

Other Terrestrials.... There are few hoppers. Plenty of crayfish<= (hint hint)

Wooly buggers work well..... In olive.... DUH. But I wouldn't be afraid to take a whole box a little more brown(what i have seen in the creek).
Welcome to the site, great place. You'll enjoy this one as much as beaverbendflyshop.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 PM

brucebsmith is on a distinguished road

Going to LMF nov. 24th. I have never been there any sugestions would help. Spend most of my time on the Juan.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, no suggestions from me, but let us know what you find out and how you do, por favor...