The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 PM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about
Default Anybody fished the Guadalupe river?

I'm going to be in Comfort, Tx this week-end and am planning to fish the Guadalupe river for trout. It is supposed to be the most southern trout stream in the country, said to fish almost like the San Juan. Can anybody tell me anything about the river and what to expect? Thanks much.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anybody fished the Guadalupe river?

There are no trout in the Guad near Comfort. (except for a few stocked near Kerrville in the winter, but they're plenty dead by now) They're stocked in the tailwater section below Canyon Lake, near New Braunfels. During summers with low flows, few trout survive and fishing isn't wise because of this phenomenon-

Click the image to open in full size.

We're in a terrible drought, and there's only one section of the Guad near Comfort I'd say is worth fishing. Shoot me a PM if interested.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 PM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

WOW! That pictures worth a thousand words! I think I'll take my golf clubs instead of fly rod! Yes, the drought has changed many plans. Thanks Cliff..
Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 AM

gator payne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
There are no trout in the Guad near Comfort. (except for a few stocked near Kerrville in the winter, but they're plenty dead by now) They're stocked in the tailwater section below Canyon Lake, near New Braunfels. During summers with low flows, few trout survive and fishing isn't wise because of this phenomenon-

Click the image to open in full size.

We're in a terrible drought, and there's only one section of the Guad near Comfort I'd say is worth fishing. Shoot me a PM if interested.

While this post is older than a 40lb carp it still comes up on first page of google search So I am going to respond to this so that others that see it don't get the wrong idea about fishing the lower Quadalupe.

Yes during the warm months the lower Qadalupe is trash city and way over crowded with college kids and tourist. But even then the rafters end at Rocky beach. there are several miles good fishing left that the tubers never get to before you get in to the city limits. And I catch 14" to 20" rainbows all summer long along this section of the river. Not every 10 strikes but often enough.

While rainbows were not native the creation of the lake and it deep water outflow have created a nice niche for stocked rainbow and some brown. more and more each year the river has a greater quanity of hold over fish from the previous years stocking. There is even a fair amount of good spawing happening with haches that are surviving. While the summer months are not Ideal for trout there are enough deep pools where the water temp is survivable that the holdover population is growing. Even in the dought we have been going through.

The real fishing on the Lower Quadalupe starts after labor day. The place is a whole different river enviroment then. ther are several regular stockings of 10"-18" fish by both Texas Fish and Game and also indipendently by GGTU So despite the bad press or the summer months, the trout fishing in late November through early June is quite good on the lower Guadalupe. Have a doubt call any of the GGTU members and just ask.

Just as a side note with the release levels at their current moderate rate more of the river is wadable than ever before. The water temp is a tad warm right now but dropping daily. It only gets better as the winter approaches.

Anyway thats the low down on the lower Quadalue for trout fishing. It is a great winter fishery it is just a not so good fishery in the hot months. Where else can you float or wade fish for trout in the middle of January? Hummm?