First time on Lower Mt. Fork

newtofly

Reaction score
Just wanted to know if there is a site somewhere were I can find public access points and what are the best areas to fish in early April. This will be my first time on the LMF river. I have read about what flies to take so I think I am ready there, but don't really know the best places to fish. I will be staying in the state park. Also, is a guide a good idea on this water, or is it pretty straight forward? Thanks for your tips!!

jcw355

Reaction score
I fish there every now and then because it's 3.5 hours away. If you get a guide they will take you to the spots where you can catch fish, thats there job is to put you on the fish. Call in advance and book, Three rivers fly shop has guides, texasoklahomafishingguide.com is a good one too, I would contact him first.

cimarron

Reaction score
Hi, newtofly, I've fished the LMF several years, but it's been a while since I've been down there. I'll try to get you to the Evening Hole area. You will probably come in on hiway 259 going N out of Broken Bow town. On the right, you'll see sign says 259A. It's a loop road so you want the second 259A(northern-most) turn off. Follow 259A past the spillway, you'll see the lake(beautiful)! Now, a bit further, on left, you'll see Sid's Beaver's Bend Fly Shop. By all means stop there and get the low-down on whats workin'! Just a bit further(couple miles) down same road, you'll come to the Evening Hole. It may be crowded, but you can go up or down stream. Also ask Sid for better directions and maybe a Map! It's a nice stream, not like New Mexico, though! Luck, Glen

littledavid123

Reaction score
A good area that typically is not as crowded is just below re-regulation dam. To get there, from the 4 corners stop light in Broken Bow (hi 70 & 259 junction) travel east on hi 70 apx 5 miles. On the left side of the 4 lane there will be sign advertising for W&W Trading Post and Canoe Rental, turn left and follow the road to its dead end at a small camping park (3.5 miles). The fishing is right inside the park just below the dam.

Dave

newtofly

Reaction score
Awesome guys, that gives me two great places to get started at and a chance to see different areas of this water. I will be there in a few weeks and will update you all on how things went.
Also, is there any good hike in spots for this river? The wife and I will be together on this trip and we both enjoy hiking. Maybe a spot that we could hike in together and I could fish for a few hundred yards below and above where she will be relaxing and reading a book.

newtofly

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and suggestions getting started on this stream. I had a great time and got to fish some for 3 days. Caught lots of fish on BH phesant tails and BWO's with a prince nymph dropper. Really enjoyed myself and will be back to this stream. Thanks again everyone.