The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 AM

manotheskip is on a distinguished road
Default Visiting OKC

Hello all!

I will be headed to OKC for 5 weeks, from April 1 to May 4. I'm interested in getting out and wetting a few flies, be it in the local lakes, or the far away streams.

Any pointers? Anyone want to take a visitor out for a day of tight lines?

Thanks!

Mano
Old 03-17-2012, 05:05 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Visiting OKC

What do you want to fish for? Carp? Gar? Bass? Catfish? Trout?

You can find a lot of small carp in the Lake Hefner side ponds. They're not big, but they're very plentiful and very eager. You can find decent numbers of gar (both shortnose and longnose) below Lake Overholser, along with a few carp and catfish. It's a pretty trashy place to fish, but there's a reason so many people go there. If you're willing to drive east a few hours, there are the obvious trout streams, but you can also get into some good smallmouth fishing too.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Your hours away from trout fishing. Lower Illinois is the closest, probably around 2.5-3 hours depending what side of OKC your on. Lower Mountain Fork is probably close to 5 hours just guessing.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:46 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Could go to Roman Nose State Park, small lake winter stocked with trout. 80 miles Northwest of OKC.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Could go to Roman Nose State Park, small lake winter stocked with trout. 80 miles Northwest of OKC.
I don't know the stocking schedule for that place but the OWD usually quits it's winter stocking in February and March. With the lack of winter here water temps will probably be warmer earlier in those winter stock only waters.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:42 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
I don't know the stocking schedule for that place but the OWD usually quits it's winter stocking in February and March. With the lack of winter here water temps will probably be warmer earlier in those winter stock only waters.
You're correct JCW, I missed the April arrival date...good catch.

Dave
Old 03-19-2012, 12:30 PM

Thanks for all the pointers guys!!!

Very appreciative! I was thinking trout fishing, but I love bass fishing, so that is intriguing me, and I've never caught gar or carp, so I could go for that.

I think it might be better to fish close by, than drive, since I'm not familiar with the area and don't need to get lost...but...who knows what I'll do...I go where the wind blows...

Getting a license is a bit pricey for a non resident, but i'm a supporter.

I'll be close to the airport, staying about 20 minutes north, cause I'm training at the FAA Academy. I'm close to the local lakes in which I would need a city permit. If anyone wants to join me sometime, there is a pitcher of beer in it afterwards!!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:46 PM

Getting my gear ready now! Be there tomorrow and for the next five weeks!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 PM

Lower Illinois is doing the 24/7 running of water right now. Tenkiller lake is up over 10 feet and at the rate they are releasing water there probably won't be any trout fishing till June sometime. Then after that the temperatures will be up and if we have the lack of rain like last year there will be a fish kill and no trout fishing till November because they will quit stocking fish.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 PM

I guess I'll have to fish for some other species...thanks for the heads up...I'm going to try to head to basspro this week, maybe pick up some new flies for the other species I go for. There are also small ponds on the property where I'm staying, Isola Bella Apartments...if I could find out what kind of fish there were swimming in there, I would throw a line! anyone know about Isola Bella?