The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 PM

fish breath is on a distinguished road
Default Beavers Bend State Park

Just finished fishing the LMF at Beavers Bend this last week. This was my first trip there. I fished with Bob Woodruff for 1 day and he gave the low down on the river itself from 10 years ago to current. Seems like they have made a once dying non productive body of water into a great Trout fishery. There are plans for the future that I think will make it one of the best Trout waters in this part of the World. My hat is of to all the people that have made it possible.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Beavers Bend State Park

Quite a drive from Odessa, guess I can't whine about mine from the Metromess. The LMF is a wonderful fishery, and the efforts that are still continuing to this day have been amazingly helpful. Spillway Creek is great for its tumbling pocket water, and Lost Creek is a fine little flatter water fishery. Then there's zone 2 and all that great water and trout to pursue.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Dallas Trout Bum is on a distinguished road

I am going to the LMF the weekend of Feb. 17th. Can you give me any info on the flies that you used or any that Bob Woodruff recommended?? If you don't mind me asking.

Thanks,
Stephen
Old 02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

On spillway creek I have the best luck with smallish nymphs with peacock in them fished on the bottom. Getting it there can be tough because of the turbulence of the pocket water- you will liklely need a good bit of split shot.

In the main river channel in the park, midges are very effective.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

fish breath,
Feb 23rd is the Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation meeting and One Fly Event. The LMFRF along with the East Texas Fly Fishers, Lone Star Fly Fishers, Dallas Fly Fishers, and many more have help supply funds to support the many improvements to the LMF. Some examples, Trout Rening Pins stocking, Lost Creek and Evening Hole project, Cold Water Project and many more to come.

How did you do with Rob last week?

Dallas Trout Bum,
Yes, I fished the LMF about a week ago now and did very well. You should do pretty good with a BHPT or BHHE. Soft hackles are in there prime especially Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail. This week sould be a great week as well. Also, as BigCliff said, midges are very effective.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Terry
Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Dallas Trout Bum is on a distinguished road

Bigcliff and Fish Breath, thanks for the info. I can't wait for this weekend!

Thanks,
Stephen
Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

To those of you intersted in this trout fishery.. the park has been vacated and no one is allowed in the park as of yesterday.. the Broken Bow lake is completely full with more rain expected tonight. the spill way is currently releasing1300 cfps through spill way and will proably get much more in the next few days which may flood the entire park.. Thinks are very critical right now and we may have much damage to our fishery. Sid Ingram at Beavers Bend Fly shop has removed all his merchandise from his store and could loose his fly shop.. Pray for us here..MikeLove
Old 04-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Mike,
Keep us posted as to what is happening. Trust me my prayers are that this will all pass fairly quickly. Hopefully the most of the structure will hold and the fish will stay put. We appreciate the update.
Thanks,
Terry

PS. I imagine where I'm standing in my avatar picture is well over my head now.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:37 PM

Brunner is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update Mike. I was actually planning on going up there next weekend.