The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 PM

tommyc_295 will become famous soon enoughtommyc_295 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to tommyc_295
Default Re: St. Louis Streams

I visit St. Louis a couple times a year and I've never considered fly fishing up there. I may have to pack my gear on my next "work" trip up there.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:13 PM

yspaik is on a distinguished road

I just got back from Missouri. Hit up Maramec Springs and Lake Taneycomo. Caught good numbers at Maramec Springs and one good one. I was looking to get a big one at Taneycomo, but no luck. A couple other people pulled out decent ones.

I may try again when I go back to Missouri for Thanksgiving weekend.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:33 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Where are you going to be around at? I'll be down by Taney house sitting at Table rock. I'm probably going to spend atleast one day out at Roaring River, its a neat park and I caught a bunch of there.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-24-2012, 03:00 PM

yspaik is on a distinguished road

My parents live in St. Louis, so I would be staying there. However, I may head down to Springfield to visit my brother as he can't make it back for Thanksgiving. If I head to Springfield, I would definitely hit up the trophy waters at Taneycomo
Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Here is info including the blue ribbon water in Missouri.

Trout Areas | Missouri Department of Conservation

I frequently fish the Current River below Montauk State Park. Sometimes you can fish the whole day in the blue ribbon area and not see another angler. I'll be there this weekend! I catch lots more browns there than I do inside the park.

This website gives detailed info on access points and how to get to them. Handy dandy!

Missouri Trout Hunter -- Blue Ribbon Trout Streams
Old 10-25-2012, 10:34 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Well if you're going to be on the current outside montuak this weekend then you will not have the stream to yourself. I will be there as well stalking the fishes.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-25-2012, 10:53 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Well if you're going to be on the current outside montuak this weekend then you will not have the stream to yourself. I will be there as well stalking the fishes.
Cool, I'll be the right-handed guy trying to cast left-handed. Just had surgery on my right shoulder and I have to get our annual last weekend in October Montauk trip in. I don't know how far downstream I will go, I have to see how my shoulder feels.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 AM

haha if I see you i'll give ya a shout. I'll have a brown loomis hat with two rods. I havent decided if im going to start at loop 4 and go down or start at tan vat and attempt to get to baptist. we have an anual october trip but its usually not this late in the year.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
haha if I see you i'll give ya a shout. I'll have a brown loomis hat with two rods. I havent decided if im going to start at loop 4 and go down or start at tan vat and attempt to get to baptist. we have an anual october trip but its usually not this late in the year.
I'll be wearing a blue Simms hat. Shouldn't be too hard to see me if we are both below the park.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM

kdeutman is on a distinguished road

Looks like I'm going to fish the Current on Saturday. This will be my first try at a Missouri trout stream. If anyone has some good advice on where a good starting access point would be or some flies that I should try I would be grateful. I am thinking about starting just outside of Montauk and seeing how far I can get. As for flies I have some olive mohairs, griffiths, adams, elk hair caddis, renegades, woolys etc. I hope I do alright. This will be only my 4th time trout hunting.