The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: St. Louis Streams

Damnit for already having plans this weekend. I want to jump all over this! The waters are all frozen over in the St Joseph Area... Boring me to death!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM

kdeutman is on a distinguished road

The current was fun. Got a few in the Blue Ribbon area. Here is one of five I got that day!
Click the image to open in full size.
mridenour likes this.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I'm headed down to the white with Brian Wise in march. I can't wait!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 PM

kdeutman is on a distinguished road

Sounds fun! I wish I could make it there more often but the drive is a bit too long for me to go frequently. Maybe when I'm not on a college budget! I need to hunt some more before winter is over because it's nice being able to fish by yourself.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Google Earth.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:39 PM

zor is on a distinguished road

I'm headed back home to St. Louis for a graduation in May. I'm planning on taking my dad to Blue Springs Creek for a half day when I get to town. Anyone want to share how it fishes this time of year or suggest some patterns? My pops and I would be much obliged. I fish out here in Arizona weekly, but haven't fished the midwest since canoe trips down the current as a cub scout. It's been a few years to say the least.

Thanks,
D.J.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Its a super hard,technnical creek with a bunch of super spooky fish in it. You need a short light rod with long leaders, there will be several spots where casting across parts of gravel bars to get the fly into water are required. I have had good luck with beadhead pheasant tails and elk hair caddis there. Depending on when and how long you're going to be in town, there might be better options to catch fish. i have fished it 4 times now and only caught 2 fish out of it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-03-2013, 06:52 PM

zor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Its a super hard,technnical creek with a bunch of super spooky fish in it. You need a short light rod with long leaders, there will be several spots where casting across parts of gravel bars to get the fly into water are required. I have had good luck with beadhead pheasant tails and elk hair caddis there. Depending on when and how long you're going to be in town, there might be better options to catch fish. i have fished it 4 times now and only caught 2 fish out of it.
Ooof. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like some of our streams here in Arizona. Maybe not the best option since my dad hasn't wet a line in a few years, maybe a decade. I'll be in town in a two weeks, but we will only have a half day to dedicate to chasing trout. Probably Thursday the 16th. Maramec Springs? Obviously I've never been, but I worry about crowds. I'm not much for combat fishing.

Last edited by zor; 05-03-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

it wont be too crowded on a thursday and there are definitly fish there to be caught. Mill Creek would be your best option for no crowds and catching fish, but its definitly more of a day trip then a half day, takes about 2 hours to get there.

You can still try blue springs, its a really pretty stream. If the trout arent working you can always head down by the meremec there and try for smallies. Its definitly worth atleast going to, my hunting property is across the road from it so i get to see it fairly often, just dont fish it much. Since its so close to STL, it gets the most pressure.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-04-2013, 08:02 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

A couple of things about BSC. First if you go, lots of bug juice. Tons of chiggers and ticks, etc... Second, if it is your first time there you may want to try upstream of highway/route N. There are many, many good opportunities to extract a trout all the way up to the Salvation Army camp. You can actually park off the road just south of the overpass/culvert. Think small with your fly selection 16-20 on your patterns. There is rarely a hole deeper than 4'. I personally avoid bead head patterns and have had better success with a little wire underbody. Avoid suspension devices aka indicators. The fish aren't picky as to specific patterns. If your fly is "buggy" it will fish. PTN, Hares Ear, small scuds do fine underwater, Elk hair caddis Adams or Ants are great dries to consider. The fish hold in what one would call obvious "fishy" spots. You are only going to get a drifts before the fish shut down in any one spot.

Like Geoff said, it's a technical stream and hard to fish, but it is loaded with trout. They are just very hard to catch. Very, very hard. I will take BSC over any park any day.

I should also note that the fish here are wild and for the most part small. They are vivid and remarkably colored. I have heard tales of fish in excess of 12" being caught but I have not caught a trout out of BSC in excess of 8". Attached is my personal best.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hope this helps.

Joe