The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Lower Mid-U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lower-mid-u-s/)
-   -   arkansas small streams (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lower-mid-u-s/288722-arkansas-small-streams.html)

jw12 06-19-2012 05:19 PM

arkansas small streams

Does anyone know of any small trout streams that they have had good luck at in Arkansas?

freebird630 06-22-2012 09:40 PM

Re: arkansas small streams

I'm no expert as I'm just getting started fly fishing in Arkansas myself but I think your best bet is the Little Red river, portions of the White River and Norfork rivers and small streams off of these two rivers in northern Arkansas.

I just recieved the copy of the book Home Waters Mid-South Fly Fishers and it's guide to fishing Northern Arkansas, Western Tennessee, and Southern Missouri that I bought used off of amazon.com and it's actually like brand new when I recieved it. It outlines all of the trout water in Arkansas with access point listed, flies and nymphs that are popular and their sizes. I think it was a worth while investment.

al_a 06-22-2012 11:02 PM

Unlike Missouri, there is very little if any consistent small stream trout fishing in AR. The Little Red can be pretty small when they are not generating, but it's still a tailwater fishery and can be big when they are generating. The White and North Fork are tailwaters. About the only real non-tailwater trout stream is the Spring River near the AR-MO border, and even it wouldn't be classified as a small, wading type stream. The difference between AR and MO is in the lack of good sized springs in the Arkansas Ozarks and Ouachitas. Missouri has a lot more significant springs, which keep sections of a number of different rivers and creeks cool enough to support trout year-round.

There are a couple of supposedly well-guarded secret trout creeks in AR. I know one of them, though I haven't ever tried to fish it, so I don't know if it really has a fishable population of trout or whether it's just rumor. And trout often move up into warm water creeks running into the White River during the cold weather months, furnishing some inconsistent and seasonal fishing. I just talked to a guy who said they run up Crooked Creek for many miles, and I've heard that the forks of Sylamore Creek often have trout in late winter and early spring.

ja501 02-03-2013 07:08 AM

There is also the Little Missouri in SW Arkansas. The AGFC stocks it with decent size rainbows in the winter months.

rapid eddy 04-22-2013 08:32 PM

jw: PM me anytime and i'll hook ya up with all the trout you can handle on the Spring River just south of Mammoth Springs there in the edge of Arkansas. Brother and i grew up fishing there at the ripe old age of 12. We're in our 60's now. No need to haul your 6 wt rods on this action. We use our 1 wt's and our newly aquired 0 wt's and have landed even some nice 22 inchers on this light tackle. You'll contact me if your serious. I live in West Plains, Missouri but fish there sometimes 4 or 5 times a week. Some really nice browns in the 24" range there also.
Eddy