The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM

untamedoutdoors will become famous soon enough
Default A First Timer's Guide to The Lower Mountain Fork River

A First Timer's Guide to The Lower Mountain Fork River

Click the image to open in full size.

The most difficult part about fishing a new river is preparing for the unknown. This guide will help you plan a successful trip to one of the best managed trout fisheries in the south. Hiring a guide can quickly get you up to speed when fishing a new area. If you are like me, the best part of the adventure is exploring new territory on your own.

The Lower Mountain Fork offers 12 miles of designated trout fishing from the Broken Bow Reservoir Spillway downstream to the U.S. Hwy 70 bridge. It offers a variety of types of water from small fast creeks to big open water with deep pools. No matter what your skill level or style of fishing you will find something that works for you.

When I began researching the Lower Mountain Fork, accurate information was hard to come by. Most of the maps and regulations had changed. In fact, it was near impossible to find current well marked maps. Many helpful forums exist with post recommending flies to bring and holes to try, but if you don’t have someone to show you the way, you'll waste a lot of valuable fishing time. If you bookmark this article on your smartphone you will have all the resources you need for a great day on the river right at your fingertips.

WHEN TO GO
Fishing is good year round, but park attendance is highest from late spring until school starts again. This popular river can get busy on the weekends, but if you plan your trip during off peak times you will have access to more areas to fish. Knowing where to start your morning will help you secure a great spot before the crowds arrive.

Trout are stocked year round, but planning your trip close to a stocking date may increase your odds. The trout stocking schedule is updated as needed.

Check the Power Generation Schedule Website before you plan which section of the river you will fish and make sure you call the automated generation hotline for the most current information before you set out (866-494-1993). If they are generating electric, the stretch below the powerhouse will be unfishable and you will want to get a spot above it before the park gets crowded. Generally speaking, this area is a great place for a first timer to start. When you're ready to try a more technical zone you can venture below the state park dam and if your lucky it will be less crowded.

GEAR
Knowing what gear to pack will help you travel light and still be prepared for any situation. I recommend a 8-9' 4 or 5 weight rod. A 7 -9' ft leader with 5x tippet will work well for most situations. Casting room is a little tighter on some sections of Spillway Creek and Lost Creek. You can easily get away with only taking floating line. The rocks are slick so bring a good pair of boots and maybe even a wading staff if you plan on going to zone 2.

Beavers Bend Fly Shop is located inside the park, so stop in Eddie will be happy to help you with a selection of flies. Some of their website's information is a little outdated but the forum has a wealth of good information on the river and flies. You can also check this hatch chart so you can tie a few flies before you leave. Keep in mind these are stocked trout and are usually not as selective as older more adapt fish on the river. If one thing doesn’t seem to be working for you try something else. Hint: small nymphs and crayfish imitations are good year round.

FEES AND REGULATIONS
Daily park entrance is free, but a resident or nonresident fishing license is required to fish. The annual license is the best value if you plan on two or more trips a year. The annual license expires the last day of the calendar year. You can purchase a license online or once you get to town. I got mine at the Broken Bow Wal-Mart. They are open 24 hours and someone was able to process mine at midnight!

This map is the best I found for publicly known fishing hole locations and other park areas and landmarks of interest. I recommend you print a copy for your trip. When you see the park maps you'll thank me later! Also, familiarize yourself with the fishing zone map so you understand which special regulations apply to you.This information can be found inside the park and on the Oklahoma Wildlife Department Regulations Website. (see trout and trout area regulations)

LODGING
Accommodations can be found both inside and outside the park. Camping, RV and cabin facilities are available within the State Park and below the Re-regulation Dam. For information call the park at (580) 494-6300. If you want to stay in a cabin make sure to plan ahead. Camping inside the park is beautiful and inexpensive if you don't mind roughing it a little (they do have warm showers in the park, so its not that rough). The Hochatown Country Lodge and Charles Wesley Motor Lodge are often recommend by regulars. I have stayed at the Hochatown Country lodge and enjoyed its close proximity to the park. It also has a small pool which is nice if you bring your family.

OTHER INFO

Check out the current fishing report posted by Rob Woodruff. Rob is a full-time Orvis endorsed fly fishing guide with over 30 years experience. He has a degree in Entomology and teaches seminars on a variety of other fly fishing and fly tying subjects. I feel like I should mention I'm in no way affiliated with him. If you've had a good experience with another guide or have a tip for others please share below! If you have any questions pm me or msg me on facebook for the fastest response. Good luck!

Last edited by untamedoutdoors; 12-10-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 PM

grindtime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A First Timer's Guide to The Lower Mountain Fork River

Hey man nice thread!! Headed up there 1st week of January and will be trying fly fishing for the first time. How is the rig supposed to be, fly, shot, tippet, line? Im just overall confused on that... Any info/tips would be appreciated. Also, probaby going to be using dry flys for the first time. Will be purchasing all flies until I can learn to tie them myself.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 PM

untamedoutdoors will become famous soon enough

Thanks grindtime,

I have since put quite a bit more time fishing this river every time I go is a little different. If you want the most enjoyable experience, plan on going right after a stocking and try to avoid the weekends. It can get kind of busy but you should be ok in Jan.

There are quite a few ways to construct your nymphing rig you just need to find what style you like. There are lots of pictures online to give you some ideas.

My best advise is get the rig down to the bottom. Unless there is a hatch, that's where the fish are feeding (this time of year especially). If you aren't getting hung on the bottom every now an then, you can be sure you aren't low enough. That really is the most important thing.

I use a floating line with 5-6x tippet. You can try a heavy fly for your first fly like a tungsten pheasant tail then you can tie some fluorocarbon tippet to the bend of that hook and about 12-18 down tie a black or red midge 18-20. The other option is two midges linked the same way with some micro shot around 6in above the first midge. if you go with that method another trick is to leave a long tag end on your first fly and put the microshot on that so if you get hung you don't lose your flies.

Like I said there are so many ways to make these rigs. You might also wanna pick up some thingamabobbers to use as indicators. The strike can be very easy to miss. It can be so subtle. I uaually try to make my rig as simple as possible then if its not working I may add weight or indicators as needed. The more junk you put on there the more frustrating it can end up getting.

You may very well not have to mess with any of this. I was there thanksgiving weekend and there were fish rising once it warmed up. Decent caddis and BOW hatches were going on. Good luck if you have any more questions feel free to PM me.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM

newtofly is on a distinguished road

This is a great writeup!! Thank you so much for doing this. I will be going the first week of April. I have fished this river and it is a real treat in my book! Thanks again, and the map you posted will help a ton. You are right about the map you pick up at the park!!
Old 05-31-2013, 10:52 PM

Bob Lang will become famous soon enoughBob Lang will become famous soon enough

I have not been on this site in almost four years. Time goes by fast when work distracts you.

I have not been on the Lower Mountain Fork in several years, but I always stop by the Three Rivers Fly Shop. Linda and Jesse King run the place and they always provide good service, good advice, and reasonably priced products. They are right down from the Hochatown Lodge. The last time I was there was right after the flood and it tore out a lot of the good fishing spots. The state went back in and rebuilt them and from what I have been told the new spots are as good as ever. Some have told me it is even better than before the flooding. This is also a good place to canoe and kayak.

Enjoy the area. It is beautiful One has to be reminded one is in Oklahoma. It is not flat or dry.

Kamin's Third Law - Combined total taxation from all levels of Government will always increase until the Government is replaced by war or revolution.