The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 03:17 PM

eldopo is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing lake Catherine, AR

Hello all; glad to be a new addition to this community!
I live in Austin, TX and thus am accustomed to catching LMB, redbreast, crappie, bluegil and the like. However, I will be camping in Lake Catherine state park in Arkansas this coming weekend and am currently trying to get myself as prepared as possible. I've spoken with a few friends who have some experience fly fishing Lake Catherine and they've given me some pointers but I am hoping to gain a little more insight from anyone who will lend it
So far my list of equipment for the trip consists of;

9'0 6wt Cabelas TLr w/ Prestige 2 reel

8' 1/2 5wt Pflueger w/cahill reel

small assortment of poppers

small assortment of clousers

some varied streamers

different top water and some midwaters

Based on recent fishing reports and suggestions from friends, I plan to target trout, walleye, bass and stripers (in one very specific area of the lake)

Any suggestions on flies, tactics areas to fish would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
James J.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing lake Catherine, AR

James: Welcome to the forum! Sorry I can't provide any assistance on lake Catherine, but maybe someone on the forum has fished there and can provide some insight.

Larry

Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 PM

tommyc_295 will become famous soon enoughtommyc_295 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to tommyc_295

James, how did Lake Catherine turn out?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:46 AM

eldopo is on a distinguished road

Fishing Wise, Lake Catherine did not turn out quite as I had hoped, but to be fair i was only able to wade and was only there for 3 days. However, both Lake Catherine and the surrounding rivers that i was able to fish were beautiful and provided crystal clear waters and very photogenic wading spots.I did manage to catch 3 decent sized fish of the sunfish variety - nothing over 9 inches - but fun none the less. This trip was a little hasty and I did not have all the equipment or time that I would have preferred have so I will likely arrange to do a similar trip sometime soon. Currently I have my sights on a 1-2 week trip out to the Devil's River in Texas; I'm eye-ing sometime between February-May for the date.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:01 AM

ja501 is on a distinguished road

If you are willing to drive about 30 minutes south, try the little Missouri. They stock it in the winter months with rainbows and it is also photogenic.